Trusted Contributor

I have used this recipe when having friends for a tea party. It has simple ingredients, but it is very tasty. I think it makes a difference to put this filling on good quality bread, and using butter on the bread rather than mayo.

Chicken Salad Filling for Tea Sandwiches

Toast sesame seeds in skillet over medium-low heat for five minutes, shaking pan.

1 medium onion, skin on, sliced in half

6 black peppercorns

1 bay leaf

1 teaspoon dried thyme

3 1/2 pound chicken

1/2 cup sesame seeds, toasted, optional

1. Place onion, peppercorns, bay leaf and thyme in a large pot. Add chicken. Add just enough cold water to cover. Cover and bring to a simmer. Uncover and cook for 1 hour.

2. Drain chicken. (Reserve broth for another use.) Remove skin from chicken and shred meat from bones and chop very fine. Refrigerate, covered, until well chilled.

In small bowl mix:

1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise (Best Foods with olive oil)

Cooked, diced chicken

3 green onions, tops and white part, chopped fine

1/8 teaspoon salt

Pepper, to taste

Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.

1. Butter thin sliced bread and spread with chicken salad filling. Top with bread. Trim crusts and cut in triangles.

2. If desired, butter one edge of bread and press into toasted sesame seeds.

Valued Contributor

I love chicken salad with grapes, pecans, and celery. I rarely make it because I meticulously make certain that each and every bit of gristle is removed from the chicken and the chicken is well shredded with forks. My mother makes good chicken salad...until you get gristle. Her eyesight isn't good and a little gristle doesn't bother her. Needless to say...I choose from her other delicious, non-gristle containing eats. LOL!

Honored Contributor

I make chicken salad using Costco rotisserie chicken. I shred the chicken using two forks. Add diced celery, diced scallions and fresh tarragon if I am using for a spread or sandwich. If I am using as a salad I usually add red grapes and toasted pecans to it.

Super Contributor

DiAnne, about how much tarragon do you use? I'd like to try that. Oh, and those Costco chickens are DELICIOUS!

Honored Contributor
On 1/1/2015 BigOrangeKitty said:

DiAnne, about how much tarragon do you use? I'd like to try that. Oh, and those Costco chickens are DELICIOUS!

I don't really measure. I usually pull the leaves of a couple of stems and mince. It is very potent so be careful!

PS: I always throw the chicken carcass into the freezer to use for homemade chicken stock.

Honored Contributor

Does anyone have a recipe for Curried Chicken Salad? I could google but I'd like one that's tried and tested. TIA.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Esteemed Contributor

My local grocery sells Napa Chicken Salad in the deli. I like it because it contains pecans and grapes.

Regular Contributor

I'll poach if I'm making the chicken for salad, but if I have left overs from a chicken I've bake or a rotisserie I'll use that.

Respected Contributor

I poach the chicken, and I often put chopped fresh tarragon in the salad--which some people really like when I do it that way. If I'm not using tarragon (which is hard to find) I sometimes use curry powder and make a curried chicken salad.

Honored Contributor
On 1/2/2015 Tique said:

Does anyone have a recipe for Curried Chicken Salad? I could google but I'd like one that's tried and tested. TIA.

I make curried chicken salad sometimes but I don't really have a recipe. I use the Costco rotisserie chicken - add chopped celery, sliced green onion. Mix curry powder into mayo and add to the chicken salad. The amount depends on how strong you want it. I also sometimes add currants and don't forget salt and pepper!