Esteemed Contributor

I cheat and I buy a Rotisserie chicken, shred it and add all my favs.

Honored Contributor

I have two go-to chicken salad recipes. I like both of them very much. For me, the one with the mandarin oranges and grapes is more suitable to just have on the plate, but I've also had it in a pita pocket before. The dressing is very light and doesn't overpower the rest of the ingredients. The second one is from a restaurant in Dresden, OH called Popeye's that was owned of the Longaberger family. This is a very well loved and sought after recipe. When basket lovers would travel to their beloved "Basket Mecca", the trip always would include lunch at Popeye's to get their chicken salad fix satisfied.

MANDARIN CHICKEN SALAD

2-3 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
1 c. chopped celery
11 oz. mandarin oranges, drained
1 c. seedless grapes (red, green or combination)
2 T. finely minced green onion
1/3 c. mayonnaise (NO Miracle Whip)
1 T. lemon juice (fresh is best)
S & P to taste
¼ c. toasted slivered almonds (optional)

Make dressing by combining mayonnaise, onion and lemon juice. In a large bowl, combine chicken, celery, oranges and grapes. Lightly toss with dressing. Sprinkle almonds on top. Chill well before serving.

POPEYE'S HONEY PECAN CHICKEN SALAD

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup relish (start with about half the amount and add to taste)
2 T. minced onion
1 T. honey
1 1/2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1/4 t. white pepper
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup toasted pecans, chopped
1 1/2 pounds chopped cooked chicken (about 4 cups)

Combine the mayo, relish, onion, honey, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Stir in celery and pecans. Fold in the chicken. Chill. Serve.

Serve on a bed of lettuce or a fresh croissant, even toast.

Honored Contributor
On 1/2/2015 qvcfreak said:

I cheat and I buy a Rotisserie chicken, shred it and add all my favs.

rotisserie chickens are great.....and often a lot cheaper than buying chicken pieces! i have an entire cookbook devoted to rotisserie chickens!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

I use roasted chicken. Mostly I buy a rotisserie chicken from Costco's. I use a combination of mayo and plain greek yogurt which lightens it up. I like to add cranberries and a little pepper. My husband and son never noticed that I replaced the mayo with yogurt.

Respected Contributor

Curried Chicken Salad a la Campion

2 big chicken breasts, boneless.

Poach these in chicken broth and some parsley at a light simmer. Do not boil vigorously. Best way is to bring JUST to a boil, cover and let sit an hour. Chicken will be tender and moist-not stringy.

When cooled enough to handle, cut into chunks.

Mix the chicken with 1 stalk peeled diced celery, a small peeled, diced crisp apple (like Fuji or Braeburn), toss. Some people put in chopped almonds or pecans (I can't do that but toasted, chopped almonds are nice.) Some people add golden raisins. You can also substitute pineapple cut into tiny pieces-- for the apple. Cut the fruit about the same size as the chicken.

Mix some mayo (1/4 cup) with prepared curry powder. Let sit five minutes. I prefer Penzey's Sweet Curry but another interesting choice is Patak's Mild Curry Paste (grocery store.) I use about a half tsp. Mix this into the chicken and mix in some more mayo until it's at the consistency you prefer. You mix the curry first, because the spices are oil-soluable, so the mixing brings out the flavor. You can adjust curry to taste--I like mildly spiced salad but some people want it very yellow and spicy.

Serve on a bed of lettuce with a dab of mango chutney as garnish.

Respected Contributor

I'll throw in my tarragon salad while we're at it:

Poach chicken in broth (bring just to boil, cover, let sit one hour.)

Dice

Add in 1 stalk peeled, diced celery and a Tbs of fresh tarragon, finely chopped. Can you use dry? It doesn't seem to work as well. But you can use some (tsp) in a pinch.

Mix with 2/3 good mayonnaise and 1/3 Greek yogurt. (This lightens it up) You can use just mayo instead. Or cut down on the Greek yogurt. Always use a good mayonnaise, I prefer Hellmans or Dukes.

Super Contributor

I live alone and in order not to waste a Wonder Roast chicken, I use the leftover chicken to make chicken salad for lunch the next day ...

I put the chicken in my food processor and give it just a few pulses ... I transfer that to a bowl and then pulse one or two hard boiled eggs and add that to the chicken ...

I chop up a few stuffed olives, celery, and onion; sometimes add some dill or sweet pickle ... mix it all with some Miracle Whip, salt and pepper ...

~~ Good enough is good enough ~~
Frequent Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I use a rotisserie chicken. If not, then I roast chicken breasts. For the salad it's

cut-up chicken meat

celery

cranberries

Mayo

Tarragon vinegar

s&p

Usually a big hit.

Honored Contributor

I didn't read the latest posts, but I did Google yesterday, Martha Stewart's chicken salad. I found one first try. Hope you did too.