Regular Contributor

Cesar stone or granite countertops ?

Which do you have....   Or recommend.........Cesar stone or granite countertops?  Ease of cleaning......... Can you place hot dishes on without harming. ?   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cesar stone or granite countertops ?

I have both quartz and granite.  I worry about the granite more but like both.  I never put anything hot on any counter so I wouldn't know if you are able to or not. At the prices of either of these countertops, I would never take a chance.

Esteemed Contributor

I have silestone - yes you can put down hot dishes and it also has bacteria treatment built into it so it stays bacteria-free.  Costs:  between granite and the "white stuff"(forgot name) that came out years ago (which you can't put hot dishes on, but you can sandpaper off scratches).  Pros:  you don't have to 'seal' silestone; you're supposed to 'seal' granite annually.   Colors:  granite and silestone both have many, many choices.

Esteemed Contributor

I have granite and, no, I don't put hot items directly on it (don't know if it would hurt it or not). I chose granite because it's sooooooo pretty. I've found it to be very durable and easy to maintain. I think there are many good, beautiful options out there now....so you should choose whatever makes "your heart sing" (if a countertop can do that...LOL).

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

I have silestone - yes you can put down hot dishes and it also has bacteria treatment built into it so it stays bacteria-free.  Costs:  between granite and the "white stuff"(forgot name) that came out years ago (which you can't put hot dishes on, but you can sandpaper off scratches).  Pros:  you don't have to 'seal' silestone; you're supposed to 'seal' granite annually.   Colors:  granite and silestone both have many, many choices.

Corian is the name.

Honored Contributor

I really want quartz but I'm not finding one I really like for my space.  I don't want a white surface.

Honored Contributor

Granite!  I've had it 20 years and it's still beautiful!  I put hot stuff on it and seal it about once every 2 years or so, and  it is still as beautiful as it was when they put it in.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

Corian is the name.

Corian will melt, I know I had to urgently set down a pot on it once because I was burning my hand and it melted a nice deep indentation on the kitchen counter. DuPont says this about their Corian 

We do not recommend placing a hot pot directly on Corian® surfaces. Although Corian® solid surface remains stable and undamaged in temperatures up to 212ºF (100ºC), high heat or flame will damage your surface. In most cases, this damage can be repaired. To protect your Corian® surfaces from heat damage, always use a hot pad or a trivet with rubber feet when using hot pots, or heat-generating appliances, like electric skillets or electric cooking pots.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I love my quartz!  It is the hardest so will not stain. It is a little more expensive than granite but worth not worring about staining and grease/oil stains. 

Honored Contributor

I remodeled my kitchen last year and was interested in ceasar stone   because I thought it was stain proof, but I was told that is not the case, it does stain, so I went with granite because I love this stone, much prettier than the ceasar stone, and it isn't less expensive.  I don't cut on it, I use a board, or put anything hot on it.