Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cesar stone or granite countertops ?

@tansy wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

I have silestone - yes you can put down hot dishes and it also has bacteria treatment built into it so it stays bacteria-free.  Costs:  between granite and the "white stuff"(forgot name) that came out years ago (which you can't put hot dishes on, but you can sandpaper off scratches).  Pros:  you don't have to 'seal' silestone; you're supposed to 'seal' granite annually.   Colors:  granite and silestone both have many, many choices.

Corian is the name.

THANX, tansy!  I knew it began w/ a c, but just c/n think of it....and it was driving me crazy!Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I really want quartz but I'm not finding one I really like for my space.  I don't want a white surface.

my silestone is shades of brown, blacj, yellow/gold, sparkly white specks...many colors.  thonk ITKWD has.had same countertop.  The Neelys kitchen had my countertop.  There are a gazillion to choose from.  If you're looking for a specific color search online then bring name.# to granite/quartz factory and check out the slabs.

Honored Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Sharke - is there a difference between Cesar stone and Silostone - or are they just the brand names?

Honored Contributor

I really don't know . I got quartz counter tops and that block is granite for rolling out doughs on. Set hot pots on directly from that Oster oven too.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@tansy wrote:

I really want quartz but I'm not finding one I really like for my space.  I don't want a white surface.

my silestone is shades of brown, blacj, yellow/gold, sparkly white specks...many colors.  thonk ITKWD has.had same countertop.  The Neelys kitchen had my countertop.  There are a gazillion to choose from.  If you're looking for a specific color search online then bring name.# to granite/quartz factory and check out the slabs.

I'm not figuring out those initials, @eddyandme.  Do you remember the color name of your Silestone?

Respected Contributor

We have new quartz countertops and absolutely love them. I found that there is a huge selection of of colors out there when we were looking. I have never put any right out of oven on them though, don't want to take a chance. Cleaning is simple, soap and water. We found the quartz to be a little cheaper than granite also. Good luck with your decision, I know it can be daunting.

Honored Contributor

I have absolutely gorgeous granite that I chose for my newly built cottage (that we are living in full time now)! I could have gotten quartz but I wanted a natural product. Quartz is engineered and looks it to me. I thought I'd get a small piece of quartz in my laundry room sink area until I priced it!! Yikes! It was ridiculous! I ended up saving thousands of dollars and got another beautiful slab of granite in there! I had corian years ago when it was new on the market. Had it in my newly remodeled kitchen in my first house. I was the only one on the planet that hated it! Still do! Give me granite any old day. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

I also have quartz counter tops. I had granite at my previous home and it needed to be sealed yearly. Quartz, however, is totally care free. I highly recommend quartz.

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@tansy wrote:

I'm not figuring out those initials, @eddyandme.  Do you remember the color name of your Silestone?

In The Kitchen With David  Sorry I don't remember the name, but if you're not in an immediate rush I can search my stuff in case they wrote it down.  Can't call the slab company 'cause they moved from Charlton to the Cape.  Unfortunately, won't be able to look until wknd - it's just a busy week - sorry.  Have you tried Home Depot - initially got a sample from there and then switched to a slightly different shade 'cause got a discount if I took this one since the company was moving just to the cape and had this in stock.  If you get a sample square (not as thick - just like a bathrm tile) you  can take a few home and see which you like best with you're cabinets.  But, then go to a slab place to buy/install it.  Had a cutting board they made me, think I got rid of it - way too heavy to lift all the time - if it's in the cellar and has a name/no on it, I'll let you know - okay (I'll look 2day).