Respected Contributor

Cara Cara Oranges

[ Edited ]

I live in California and can get Cara Cara oranges at the Farmer's Market and the grocery store for $1.50 to $2.00 a pound. They are just another type of navel oranges. Does anybody live where they can't get oranges? Why else would you pay QVC prices for oranges?

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer the Cara Cara oranges as they are less bitter and have less acid. A short season, I think, so I'm okay with paying more.

Respected Contributor

I've bought large sacks of CaraCara oranges in Costco for around $8.  They are usually very tasty.

Honored Contributor

I just bought some this week at Walmart. Delicious but they’re not always available. 

Honored Contributor

This is the first year I've noticed them in the grocery store.  They are 89¢ each.  There are many reason people would buy on line.  Health is just one.  When I was home sick with cancer, I couldn't go to the grocery store.  We didn't have home delivery and curb side pickup is just starting.  No family here.  Friends went shopping, but sometimes you want to do things yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

@chessyladywrote:

I live in California and can get Cara Cara oranges at the Farmer's Market and the grocery store for $1.50 to $2.00 a pound. They are just another type of navel oranges. Does anybody live where they can't get oranges? Why else would you pay QVC prices for oranges?

I love oranges, but can't eat or drink the juice any longer EXCEPT some of these lower acid 'specialty' varieties.

I can eat the Cara Cara.

Wiki sez:

This medium sized navel is sweet and low in acid. The flavor is more complex than most navel varieties and has been described as evoking notes of cherry, rose petal, orange, and blackberry. [6]

I can tell you're not a gardener, or you'd never say it's JUST another variety.

Respected Contributor

I know in the past my local Sam's has them for around 8 dollars for large bag.

Honored Contributor

They are my favorite orange.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

saw them in Publix 5 lb bag $6.99

Trusted Contributor

I personally love temple oranges, hope they will show up soon in my area.