Honored Contributor

Re: Beware: Garlic from China !

I have never paid any attention to where my garlic is from.  I usually just purchase one at a time.  

Regular Contributor

Beware of anything from China!

Regular Contributor

With all that's going on in the world associated with China I think we all have sino phobia.

Regular Contributor

You may not be xenophobic but you are naive.

Trusted Contributor

No, we all don't have a sinophobia for many reasons: we are Asian or Asian descent, we have friends or relatives that are, we teach them, work with them, love them, and live with them. 

So many products, agricultural, medicinal, goods, etc,. are produced in other countries and not in the US.  In some cases, the products can be grown, manufactured, etc. at cheaper rates in other countries.  You don't have to pay salaries, benefits, etc. as you would in the USA; profits are the main factors. Why pay US workers  a living rage plus when the same wages in other countries will allow you to hire 10 or 20 individuals and you don't have to adhere to health and safety regulations as in the US?  Remember the issue Kathie Lee Gifford faced with her clothing line, the fires in India, and the calls to boycott Nike among many others for sweatshop conditions? 

Respected Contributor

How do you know where it's from?  I grabbed a head of garlic last week and there was nothing on it .  I buy about one head a year and most of it dries out before I can use it and I toss it out.   So I'm not going to fret about a few cloves over a years time.   

Trusted Contributor

@santorini wrote:

I will no longer knowingly consume or purchase anything that originates in China.  I have that right and how my right affects someone's feelings is not a concern of mine.   

Ditto.  And that goes double for food products. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC political/inappropriate

Valued Contributor

@Sooner 

@Sooner wrote:

I have not bought garlic from China for many many years.  And I haven't seen non-China garlic in any supermarket in many many years.

I get organic USA grown at Whole Foods or Natural Grocers and I have grown it when we had a garden or ordered it from USA growers.

I'm thinking about seeing if I can get some now from California.

I also offer NO APOLOGIES to any for this and resent being called names because I won't buy garlic or other foods from China.  

Really?  Name calling like third grade bullies because where people buy garlic OR prefer buying USA products?  Hey, no apologies from me because I prefer USA food. 

Well said!  It is ridiculous how some people start name calling if anyone disagrees with them.  

Contributor

I also avoid products made in China whenever possible.  I haven't forgotten the tainted toothpaste, baby formula and pet food from China that killed many in the past.