Honored Contributor

Re: August 2018 What's Cooking ??

This has not been a fun week for me, even tho I wasn’t on kitchen duty.    I recently had 12 actinic keratosis pre cancers on my hands, treated with liquid nitrogen.   By Monday, all my blisters had popped, so the unbearable itching and healing stage is underway, and I’ll just say it has not been pleasant.

To add to that, my husband, a 20 year diabetic, has a sore on one of his toes.  I am washing and tending to his toe every day.   All I seem to do is wash my hands, apply bacitracin, cover my hands and wash and dress his toe!   

Our meals have been as simple as I can possibly make them.   Captain D’s, Taco Bell, hamburgers, and tonight was BLT’s.   

I am grateful my pre cancers were found early enough to treat with liquid nitrogen instead of actually cutting, but treating this many at once has been a nightmare.   

Hopefully next week will will be better!

Respected Contributor

RedTop, you have certainly had your hands full lately. Sometimes - although I try hard not to do this - I stop and wonder why me? Am sure your hubby will do well with your care and it is great - although itching - your skin problems are taken care of. There are times there is NO TIME for cooking. The older I get the more I understand that.

Actually froze last night and it is still cool. Got leah's sweater out and one for me too, as we will be heading for church in a while. She LOVES it. Bless her, took the kids to a BD party in San Bernardino yesterday - they had a blast except Leah literally split her lip. They had this HUGE water slide and she knows no fear and got a little carried away. She is doing fine.

While super cool right now it is still suppose to get up to the low 90s today - what can I say?

Dinner tonight - not real sure - may put a roast in the slow cooker

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl  I also love Parsley Salad.  I found at Costco some months ago Quinoa and Brown Rice by Seeds of Change.  It is individually packaged-- 6 to a box-- in microwaveable 8.5 oz pouches that only need to be nuked for 90 seconds.  Delicious on its own!  The mixture contains garic which is one of the ingredients used in the salad.  Often I would replace the rice with either quinoa or bulgur so I love the idea of having the packaged mixture of rice and quinoa with garlic.  I add almonds to my salad as well. I like your idea of adding a protein and will add some type of seafood as well the next time I make this salad.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

This has not been a fun week for me, even tho I wasn’t on kitchen duty.    I recently had 12 actinic keratosis pre cancers on my hands, treated with liquid nitrogen.   By Monday, all my blisters had popped, so the unbearable itching and healing stage is underway, and I’ll just say it has not been pleasant.

To add to that, my husband, a 20 year diabetic, has a sore on one of his toes.  I am washing and tending to his toe every day.   All I seem to do is wash my hands, apply bacitracin, cover my hands and wash and dress his toe!   

Our meals have been as simple as I can possibly make them.   Captain D’s, Taco Bell, hamburgers, and tonight was BLT’s.   

I am grateful my pre cancers were found early enough to treat with liquid nitrogen instead of actually cutting, but treating this many at once has been a nightmare.   

Hopefully next week will will be better!

@RedTop  I feel for you, so sorry, but as you say, at least they were found early enough to treat, and it does sound like a nightmare.  I hope you feel better sooner than later.  How you can tend to your DH's toe with your hands in that condition, it a wonder, but he is lucky for your care.

Respected Contributor

good evening everyone. red top  good luck to you and your husband. hope you guys get better soon. maria made chinese fried chicken rice and chicken eggrolls that usually get fried but she tried 2 in the air fryer and came out good so she did them all in there. it all was really good. were back into hot steamy weather,hope everyone has a great week.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vabreeze wrote:

@mousiegirl  I also love Parsley Salad.  I found at Costco some months ago Quinoa and Brown Rice by Seeds of Change.  It is individually packaged-- 6 to a box-- in microwaveable 8.5 oz pouches that only need to be nuked for 90 seconds.  Delicious on its own!  The mixture contains garic which is one of the ingredients used in the salad.  Often I would replace the rice with either quinoa or bulgur so I love the idea of having the packaged mixture of rice and quinoa with garlic.  I add almonds to my salad as well. I like your idea of adding a protein and will add some type of seafood as well the next time I make this salad.

@vabreeze  Yes, you can use any type of rice.  My recipe also calls for roasted almonds, onion, garlic, rice, parsley. and the vinaigrette, though decided after eating it this time, I will use less parsley next time, but with the prawns, it is fabulous.  I love this salad so much because it is chewy, very satisfying for me as I am a "chewy" person, as opposed to smooth, if you know what I mean.

Honored Contributor

Ham, baked beans, mac and cheese, biscuits and sliced tomatoes in my kitchen tonight.   

Respected Contributor

Last night we had garlic toast with garlic chicken with carrots broccoli and corn - super good. Evenings are getting cooler - another plumb cold one. Love it. That does NOT mean the days are cold - still in the high 90s. That's ok as long as the humieity stays gone.

Honored Contributor

Tonight I tried Joe's Fish Fry, which I saw on Shark Tank, on some white fish I had in the freezer for fish tacos.  It was very good.  I bought it at Walmart, but my original order never arrived, so contacted Walmart and one was sent within the next few days.  The fry was thin and made the fish very crispy, but still tender inside.

I will be making pea soup tomorrow or Friday while the weather is mild, love it.

Respected Contributor

Bought a roasted chicken from the grocery store and potato salad Now that was an easy meal to fix. LOL. Actually very very good. Otherwise a busy and hectic day. Very muggy - will that stuff ever go away and STAY away!

Have a good day one and all.