Respected Contributor

Re: Are you going to slowly stock up on pantry items?

@sissel wrote:

I am thinking about fall & will slowly get some pantry items now. Only 2 of us but thinking soups & other things. The virus and not being able to find items has me to (not hoard) just a little here & there. I hope this fall or winter we don't have another round of trying to find things. Also food prices has been creeping up. We still have a limit of meat per purchase. Are you thinking the same way?

I've been doing it all along.  If something is back in stock at a store, I buy it whether I need it or not.  Things like TP, pasta, rice, soup, etc.  I've found in my area that I'll find some TP but then won't see it for a while afterwards.  Takes a while to restock pasta and soups.  Kroger limits meat but Publix does not.  I was at Target yesterday and found hand sanitizer.  Only 1 per customer but at least I got one.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always believed in a well stocked pantry, and a generous supply of essentials. After having survived the after math of a record-breaking hurricane, where access to essentials was very difficult because of blocked roads and downed power lines, I saw the benefits of my diligent preparedness. 

It was a blessing to be able to help a few neighbors and family members that were unable to locate essentials, and understandably went into panic mode.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

No, I buy things as I need them and try to remember to buy before I actually run out.  Sometimes, I'll end up with extras because I forget that I bought said item last week.  

Our stores, while well-stocked for most items, are still low on some of the items people hoarded the first time.  So, I hope they don't start doing it again.  I'm still not seeing yeast at my local store (not that I need any luckily).  

Even if there is a 2nd wave in the fall, I don't think we will have the total shut-down we had in the spring.  The businesses just can't survive it.  Plus, there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what was considered essential vs non-essential and I don't think they're going to put up with that again.  

Honored Contributor

Living in snow country, 25 miles away from the nearest store, I always stock up in the winter.  Actually I'm pretty stocked up year around.  It would be pretty hard to starve in this house.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I continue to stock, which is my normal way, and is what works best for my family. I never let myself run out of main staple items, or dog food.
Respected Contributor

I used to keep very little inventory at all because my grocery store is three blocks away so I let them keep my inventory.

But during this pandemic I have stocked up. But I know I can't buy again those things I ate in the first two weeks that were supposed to last me for two months!!

It's hard to imagine that our food supply could be any worse than before, but I do anticipate this continuing through the fall and winter until we finally get a vaccine. Too many hotspots.

Esteemed Contributor

Already have.  Won't be that happy, but I think I can do a couple of months.  It is the fresh and short lived that will be a problem.

Respected Contributor

I have too much on hand in the way of paper products and cleaning supplies.  I just kept buying at every opportunity and now I'm overloaded.  As for food, I kept a well stocked pantry and fridge and get fresh food delivered every Sunday. So I don't plan on adding much more, just keep my normal amount on hand.  I don't expect major shortages to come up, and if they do, I'll just deal with it.  I can't keep living in an overcrowded apartment filled with so much stuff, there is nowhere to put it anymore!

Valued Contributor

I am well stocked on paper products and cleaning supplies. I have short list of basic pantry supplies that I normally use and I don't plan on doing any major stocking. I would keep a few 5-lb bags on various flours on hand because I bake a lot, but that's about it. 

Respected Contributor

Just a few things.  A few soups that are not always in stock I keep my eye out for and get an extra can or two.  thinking about fall there are some traditional fall faourites that I want to have the ingredients for.  and believe it or not sugar free cook and serve chocolate pudding ALWAYS is out of stock on the run up to the holidays.  With a diabetic in the family I make sure to nab a few boxes of That when I see it.

If you are in an area with bad winters then it's prudent to have a stocked larder come the fall. Covid or No Covid, Frezing weather,  Ice and snow are no joke.