Trusted Contributor

Last week I bought a bottle of Pesto from the refrigerated section at Sams. My son put away the groceries and put the jar on the shelf. I found it when I looked in the fridge and it wasn't in there. My question is, since it hasn't been opened yet, is it safe to use on some pasta? It was about $8 and I hate to throw it away.

Trusted Contributor

If the house is cool, I would try it.

Open first the jar and smell if the odor is changed.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Regular Contributor

When in doubt, throw it out. Sorry, I would hate to throw it out too, but it is for the best.

Respected Contributor

@geegerbee 

Don’t chance it ! Especially if it was already refrigerated. There is dairy (cheese) in pesto as well as garlic which when mixed with the oil from the pesto can cause botulism. It can occur from oil and garlic that is not kept at a cold proper temperature.  Get rid of it. Even an upset stomach from it isn’t worth the price.

Respected Contributor

@geegerbee  I  wouldn't chance getting sick so I would throw it out.

Respected Contributor

I'd call Member's Mark, if it's their "Fresh-Picked Basil Pesto," and tell them what happened. They'll probably tell you to pitch it, but they might also send you a coupon for another one. It's worth a shot. If that's the product, the number is given in the section with the guarantee.

Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't eat it.

pesto.png

Honored Contributor

For Petes sake just use it! You are cooking with it, right? Heaven only knows how long its been sitting out during the shipping process. I use EVERYTHING I buy and haven't ever gotten "sick" in my 66 years.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Listen to those telling you not to take a chance, especially now that it is a priority to stay healthy.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

For Petes sake just use it! You are cooking with it, right? Heaven only knows how long its been sitting out during the shipping process. I use EVERYTHING I buy and haven't ever gotten "sick" in my 66 years.

You usually don't cook pesto. You usually just put it on the drained pasta. You might heat it a bit, but I doubt that would kill anything.

Some folks have iron stomachs and can take chances. I'm not one of them. I still think the OP should call the # on the jar, not because they'll tell her to eat it, but because she might get a coupon for a new one.