Honored Contributor

Re: Are you going to slowly stock up on pantry items?

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

I have been stocking up since the virus hit. I don't have much bottled water, if something were to happen to our water supply. Maybe I need to get some of that.

Also, not sure about gas, as we have a generator that runs on gas if we lose electricity

As far as food goes, I think I have plenty, but I am hoping my tomatoes in the garden do good so I'm able to can some of those. 

@happycat, just my opinion, but I think that there is almost zero chance that we will be without gas or water. The only scenario I could imagine is a problem with infrastructure and workers couldn't for some reason come out to fix it. Very farfecthed.

@happycat 

There are plenty of things that can go wrong with the water supply. If you have a well, it can go dry. If you have municipal water system, they can experience pump issues like our nearest city, and water was down for a couple of days, not the couple of hours they anticipated to change over some pump/part thing. And then we don't talk about it much, but there is terrorism and contaminating water supplies. And then you could wake up and find you live in a place that you thought had safe water but really didn't like Flint. 

So storing water is important. More necessary than food. It's cumbersome to do so for many. I highly recommend a Berkey water filter. You can google and see lots of review, videos etc. and learn more, but they can filter tap water, or water from sources in nature, like ponds, rivers, lakes etc. 

This is not like a Britta kind of purifying, but more complete. If you would like to make sure you have water without storing many many gallons, consider looking into something like this. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

I have been stocking up since the virus hit. I don't have much bottled water, if something were to happen to our water supply. Maybe I need to get some of that.

Also, not sure about gas, as we have a generator that runs on gas if we lose electricity

As far as food goes, I think I have plenty, but I am hoping my tomatoes in the garden do good so I'm able to can some of those. 

@happycat, just my opinion, but I think that there is almost zero chance that we will be without gas or water. The only scenario I could imagine is a problem with infrastructure and workers couldn't for some reason come out to fix it. Very farfecthed.

@happycat 

There are plenty of things that can go wrong with the water supply. If you have a well, it can go dry. If you have municipal water system, they can experience pump issues like our nearest city, and water was down for a couple of days, not the couple of hours they anticipated to change over some pump/part thing. And then we don't talk about it much, but there is terrorism and contaminating water supplies. And then you could wake up and find you live in a place that you thought had safe water but really didn't like Flint. 

So storing water is important. More necessary than food. It's cumbersome to do so for many. I highly recommend a Berkey water filter. You can google and see lots of review, videos etc. and learn more, but they can filter tap water, or water from sources in nature, like ponds, rivers, lakes etc. 

This is not like a Britta kind of purifying, but more complete. If you would like to make sure you have water without storing many many gallons, consider looking into something like this. 

I will look that up @Mominohio. We dont have a well, just have rural water, there have been a few times we were told to boil the water before consumption and there have also been a few times that we just didn't have any when we turned on the faucet. Fun times.

Honored Contributor

@happycat, why don't you buy some bottled water to keep on hand. I seriously don't think it's a pandemic problem, but it's always a good idea in case of an emergency. Date your bottles and replace them occasionally if they weren't needed.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I've read enough about "supply chain fragility" to goad me to start stockpiling the kind of food I can live on through winter. I won't list things here, but that's what I think makes sense, since I have the storage room. I'm not talking about hoarding, just advance buying. The shelves in my local stores are still spotty. Pasta and sauces are sparse as of this week. There are paper goods, but a lot of the choices are off-brands at high prices. Meat isn't cheap, but there are sales.

After reading the latest posts here, I'll probably add several gallons of water to the list. I don't buy bottled water to drink, just refill my Nalgene, but it's smart to have a supply of drinking/cooking/cat water, in case. 

I'm also going to top off my oil tank, because oil prices are rising. Should have done it when the wholesale was $0.30/gallon lower.

Respected Contributor

Yes stock up we have no idea what we can or can not have. Holidays who knows but if you have room get a little  more. Meats & chicken have zomed up in price. Plus we have limits heard cheese maybe hard to find. Baking sections in my grocery store is empty. Add also cleaning supplies, still some shelves empty. Things haven't changed since the 1st panic seems we still can't find things would think restock but not happening.Why?? we have restictions just 2 why still empty shelves??? Why we can't find with restrictions? If you find it buy to restock the pantry.