Respected Contributor

DS purchased home with Samsung refrigerator with lower freezer.  Two years old, three service calls and it could not hold temperatures.  Samsung CS of little help.  

Regular Contributor

Re: Appliance question

[ Edited ]

2 years ago, I bought an LG package - stove, fridge and dishwasher.  I have no complaints about the fridge and dishwasher (so far) but the stove has been a nightmare from the very beginning.

I have had LG service people out to my house at least 4 times.  And, because of where I live, it took forever to actually get a body out here.

LG customer service is TERRIBLE!!!!!!

I would never, never buy another LG product again.

And.....I just gave up on the stove - I will get a new one when I can afford it and it won't be an LG.

Regular Contributor

We purchased a 4-piece Samsung appliance suite about 3 years ago - french-door freezer on the bottom refrigerator, stove, dishwasher and above-the-stove microwave.  Very happy with all of them, no issues to date.  Also have an LG washer and dryer - probably about 7-8 years - and again, no issues.  I'd recommend both.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl    Having read complaints on these boards for years, I've concluded there is no such thing as a good, dependable refrigerator.  There have been numerous complaints about every brand.  No other appliance garners so many complaints.

My Montgomery Ward refrigerator, circa 1973, keeps chugging along, knock wood. I think it's actually a Magic Chef. My GE stove is 20 years older, and apart from a thermostat issue, it also keeps going. My KitchenAid dishwasher from the '80s died. The Kenmore washer from the mid-'70s succumbed to a bearings issue, but I replaced it with another from the same line of the same vintage that's performing very well. The dryer is also an oldie but has only needed a new belt and lint trap in 20 years.

I'm old, they're old, we're in this together is how I see it. I'd much rather repair than replace.

Valued Contributor

Re: Appliance question

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl    Having read complaints on these boards for years, I've concluded there is no such thing as a good, dependable refrigerator.  There have been numerous complaints about every brand.  No other appliance garners so many complaints.

My Montgomery Ward refrigerator, circa 1973, keeps chugging along, knock wood. I think it's actually a Magic Chef. My GE stove is 20 years older, and apart from a thermostat issue, it also keeps going. My KitchenAid dishwasher from the '80s died. The Kenmore washer from the mid-'70s succumbed to a bearings issue, but I replaced it with another from the same line of the same vintage that's performing very well. The dryer is also an oldie but has only needed a new belt and lint trap in 20 years.

I'm old, they're old, we're in this together is how I see it. I'd much rather repair than replace.

This proves my feelings that they just don't make  appliances like they did years ago.

Guess you can say you got your money  worth out of your purchases..

My appliances are going on 18 years old and lately silly but I find myself listening to them for any strange noise, guess we are aging together too.

Fingers are crossed that  they keep working just like hoping  my parts keep working and no repairs are needed.

Honored Contributor

I have an LG refrigerator.  I cannot remember if we purchased it last year or the year before but I've been liking it very much.  It was one that was highly rated on CR.

I'm still a 'top freezer' girl, so that's what it is.   I removed the ice maker as I prefer having more space.    Mine is the black stainless on the doors (actual black on the rest of it).  The only tiny negative is that you cannot use magnets on the doors, only on the sides of the refrigerator.  But I got over that long ago. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't tried those brands so far, because of negative feedback from friends and relatives. 

I'm kind of skeptical of Consumer Reports ratings. They seem to put a lot of emphasis on features of appliances.

What I care most about is longevity, reliability (repairs being rare), and customer service in the installation or if something goes wrong later on.

Mostly, we rely on word of mouth. We've also gotten good recommendations from people who work on appliances (repairmen, plumbers, etc.).

Respected Contributor

we had a repair man come in last year to repair a whirlpool washer but it wasnt worth fixing so we were going to just buy a new washer. he said stay away from samsung and lg appliances there junk. we highly recomended going with whirlpool or ge. well we went with a ge washer and we couldnt be happer. it fills all the way us . washes better thab the whirlpool washer we had.

Contributor
I have a samsung refrigerator, gas stove, & over the stove Microwave for 7 yrs & have never had any problems with them. We have hard water so I gave my mom the dishwasher & it's still going with no problems. I have seen where others have had all kinds of problems so I count myself lucky. But really there are no perfect appliance brands
Respected Contributor

Good luck getting an appliance now, I know freezers are on a long waiting list.