Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone ever have their Pyrex explode?

Yes, last year. I had cooked a small roast in my large pyrex and after I took it out of the (moderate 350) oven and put it on the stovetop, it cracked. No shards, but a mess nontheless. Never happened before and I've been cooking for a hundred years.

I complained on the pyrex FB and they gave me some rigamarole answer, basically that it was my fault. Others joined in and said, no, it's the pyrex. Maybe the glass is different nowadays.

Never use pyrex now. Metal pans only for baking.

Respected Contributor

On 3/30/2015 bonnielu said:
On 3/29/2015 jaxs mom said:
On 3/29/2015 bonnielu said:

I have had one for over 40 years that I would love to explode. I have difficulty cleaning it. Baked on stuff all the time. I spend a better part of an hour trying to make it perfect. Not working for me.

Bar Keepers Friend works pretty good in them.

Thanks. I will get some to try it out. Getting really tired of trying to make it almost perfect. I think I spend more time cleaning it than cooking in it. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Do you prefer the powdered Bar Keepers Friend or the liquid, soft scrub type?

Trusted Contributor

This happened to a friend of mine who was hosting a large family Thanksgiving dinner. Everything was ready including a pyrex casserole dish of extra dressing which she had just taken out of the oven. Not thinking, she placed it on the ceramic stovetop which had not been completely turned off while the family gathered to say prayers. The whole thing exploded, spreading stuffing all over the ceiling, walls, countertops, floor, and, of course, the diners and dining table where everyone was gathered! Dressing, glass - everywhere!!! Fortunately, no one got cut but they didn't dare eat anything for fear of glass contamination. They had to order pizza!!!! Funny now, but it wasn't so much so then.

Frequent Contributor

No never, but mine is about 38 years old and I don't use it much. It is difficult to clean after cooking things like scalloped potatoes at high temps, but never a problem with breakage.
Honored Contributor

I did once. After I took a baking dish of leftovers out of the fridge, I made the mistake of immediately placing it in a warmed oven.

The dish broke apart in a minute or two.

It makes sense that the dish was not meant to withstand such a striking temperature change.

Respected Contributor

On 3/29/2015 jaxs mom said:
On 3/29/2015 bonnielu said:

I have had one for over 40 years that I would love to explode. I have difficulty cleaning it. Baked on stuff all the time. I spend a better part of an hour trying to make it perfect. Not working for me.

Bar Keepers Friend works pretty good in them.

or you can soak it in dishwasher detergent, that works good too! I don't have a dishwasher, but keep a box handy .. works great on my roasting pan, especially around the holidays.

I have never had my (40+ year) pyrex or corningware explode... they are from my grandmother. Maybe they cheapened the glass??

Respected Contributor

My one that exploded was made in the 1970's....

Respected Contributor

I think this has been asked before but I'll tell my story again. I was taking meatloaf out of the oven when mine exploded. And I mean exploded. it blew grease and tomato sauce all over the kitchen, all the way up to the tops of some cabinets. Have no idea why. Same thing I had done dozens of times before. Pretty scary too.
Respected Contributor

I have both pyrex and corning ware over 40 years old and both mY Mom and I use/used them very often.

Now I have all of them and have never ever had any pieces explode or cause any concern and they are all manufactured in the USA.

Years ago they made these items differently than they do now, as some of the formulas were changed and that may have caused the problems.

My Temptations large baker's casserole pan did crack in 1/2 right out of the oven, filled with food, and did shatter not too long ago. (Trashed all of the Temptations items after that).

Also have Fiesta-ware and ovenware made in Greece and Italy which are no lead paint, are heavier more substantial pieces and never had any issues with baking, freezing, refrigerator, or microwave usage.

Trusted Contributor

I've heard of it happening, but in all my 54 years not only have I never had it happen, but I have never known anyone who it happened to, despite most everyone I know using Pyrex. It's not something I worry about despite the reports.