Esteemed Contributor

Anyone ever have their Pyrex explode?

My daughter sent me a link about Pyrex glassware exploding in the oven. I have been using Pyrex and Anchor Hocking casserole dishes for 30 years and I have never had a problem nor have any of my friends.

I know that you have to use common sense and not put a glass dish straight from the Fridge to the oven, but some comments said that dishes exploded just sitting on the counter.

Just wondered if anyone here had this happen......

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone ever have their Pyrex explode?

Nope.. I've been using them for over 60 years and have never had even the slightest issue with them. Applies to both Pyrex and Corning Ware.

BTW, I wish QVC would start selling those "boring white dishes" that they show on their cooking shows. They look much nicer than all that fru fru on Temptations now days.

Respected Contributor

Yes. Right after we married I was baking a cherry cobbler in a Pyrex baking dish at 350 degrees. We were in the kitchen when it happened. My husband heard a pop and then smoke started coming out of the oven. When he opened the door, the cobbler was all over the inside of the oven. I haven't used Pyrex since and that was over 30 years ago.

ETA: I don't own Temptations so I can't speak about how they hold up. My mama taught me how to cook starting around the age of 10. The first thing she taught me was safety in the kitchen. Sometimes you just get a defective piece of cookware and it malfunctions or breaks when it shouldn't. It doesn't mean you don't know what you are doing or you aren't using the cooking vessel properly.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had one for over 40 years that I would love to explode. I have difficulty cleaning it. Baked on stuff all the time. I spend a better part of an hour trying to make it perfect. Not working for me.

Respected Contributor

On 3/29/2015 Perkup said:

Nope.. I've been using them for over 60 years and have never had even the slightest issue with them. Applies to both Pyrex and Corning Ware.

BTW, I wish QVC would start selling those "boring white dishes" that they show on their cooking shows. They look much nicer than all that fru fru on Temptations now days.

I so love "boring white dishes." I don't like patterns or colors on dishes. Just my preference.

Respected Contributor

My ex-roommate made mine explode. She decided that since the recipe called for melted butter, she would melt it in the oven while she was pre-heating it. Cold butter + hot glass =explosion. She just screamed and pointed at the oven. I walked in expecting blood, water, fire....nope. I opened the oven, turned it off, and told her to clean it up when it cooled. She was from New Jersey and thought because her mother was a great cook, that she would be as well, even though she "follows" a recipe by just lightly using it as a guide and wonders why her stuff never works. She never bothered to learn what makes a recipe a recipe before she would alter it. Well ma does it and it is always great....why can't I. IDIOT! She was like that with all her life and thought I and my sister were super brains because we just knew how to do things. We always told her that we learned by doing it all as kids before we just knew how to do it as adults from cutting grass, to planting trees, to cooking, everything really.

Super Contributor

I have never had Pyrex explode or break on me, unless I dropped it! I dropped a casserole dish once and it broke. But I really think that all these people that have exploding Pyrex pieces and exploding and breaking Temp tations pieces are misusing their pieces and cooking stuff in them at higher temps than they are supposed to or doing something else to them.

I have a lot of Pyrex and a quite a few Temp tations pieces and I have never had any crack or explode or break from just regular use.

Respected Contributor

My sil had a dinner for us and she put a hot dish of spaghetti on her glass table and it exploded. Ruined the dinner because there was glass everywhere. It wasn't even a cold night in CA, but the table must have been cooler than the glass dish.
Respected Contributor

I have been using 20+ years and have never had one break or explode as described but I have heard these stories.

Honored Contributor

No I never have, but all my stuff is old before they changed the glass.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval