Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone ever have their Pyrex explode?

On 3/29/2015 bonnielu said:

I have had one for over 40 years that I would love to explode. I have difficulty cleaning it. Baked on stuff all the time. I spend a better part of an hour trying to make it perfect. Not working for me.

Bar Keepers Friend works pretty good in them.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Yes I did. We were sitting around just starting to eat dinner ,my daughter at the time was a baby in her high chair and glass flew all over us. I was shocked. It came straight from the oven, was on the stove and moved to the table. after that I threw all my Pyrex away.
Honored Contributor

I have heard several people tell a cracked / explosive Pyrex story, and nearly every one of them involved an obvious mistake on their part, such as hot dish on a cold surface, broiling food in the Pyrex, etc. Several incidents were blamed on the age and condition of the Pyrex dish, meaning there were chips and breaks in the dish, but it was used anyway. I think we have to pay more attention to the condition of this bakeware, and stop using it if we see any deep lines and scratches in the glass that raises the question of its safety.
Respected Contributor

Yes, I had a big pitcher-type measuring cup explode. Long ago. It wasn't a mistake because I was used to labware and know how to use it. It may have had a small bubble or crack I didn't see. Glass is unpredictable when heated; a small flaw can cause uneven expansion.

Honored Contributor

On 3/29/2015 Perkup said:

BTW, I wish QVC would start selling those "boring white dishes" that they show on their cooking shows. They look much nicer than all that fru fru on Temptations now days.

I couldn't agree more. Plain white is much more attractive than Temp-tations busy patterns.

Trusted Contributor

I had a newer piece of Pyrex literally fall apart right in my hands. Thankfully, it was empty. I have an older Pyrex baking dish, that is 36 years old and is in perfect condition.

Wouldn't buy any new Pyrex.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

Yes, I also had one of the large 1 or 2 quart Mixing/measuring cup bowls explode....

Respected Contributor

Yes, right in the oven. I had used it many times for roast and gravy before with no problems. I heard a pop, opened the door and gravy was everywhere.

It was a newer dish, I've never had that happen with the older ones that I got from my Mother.

Regular Contributor

I had an older Pyrex bowl explode a long time ago when I was making a candy recipe in the microwave. When I grabbed the bowl with pot holders, it exploded into shards of glass with hot liquid. Fortunately I had on long sleeves & was standing to the side & wasn't seriously injured, just a few small minor burns where the liquid splashed. It was horrible to clean up. We also had an older stoneware plate break in half when the kids used it to warm pizza in the microwave. I learned my lesson & only use things marked for microwave use. I think that the formulation of older dishes/glass doesn't lend itself to the methods we use today. I am also very careful when putting hot dishes down; I always put down a potholder or use a basket.
Honored Contributor

Yes - just last year. I suspect there wasn't nearly enough liquid/moisture and with the heat, there was just a scary explosion with glass shards flying right through a doorway into the dining room.