Respected Contributor

Re: American Cake

[ Edited ]

@house_catOh THANK GOD! My grandmother has been making a 21 or more layer chocolate cake for eons! I started making it but she always uses the old fashioned 10x sugar, cocoa powder and butter for icing, like the old fashioned, easy fudge, but I HATE it. It is grainy and too sweet and too horrid. I have always used a ganache, but changing old ways is hard for her generation. This may be one book I buy! Thanks for sharing it!

Honored Contributor

Let me be clear, though... I would never have heard of this book or author if @traveler hadn't started the thread.

Thank you, Traveler!

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I haven't had a chance to really investigate - arrived home and found it in my mailbox 10 minutes ago.

I don't see any cakes made with mix - it's a history of cakes, with wonderful recipes and glorious photos!  

I can't wait to have time to really get into it!

Thank you for the information, house_cat. I ordered it from the big A. And thank you for starting this thread, TRAVELER. My waist line and hips do not thank you, but my taste buds sure do! *smile*

Respected Contributor

I enjoy reading cookbooks.  Anne has her own website with a cake of the month.  She sells her own cake mixes but I've never used them.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @traveler - I'm going to look for her website.

I made my first cake from the book tonight. 

It's a Virginia Poundcake, the recipe is from 1824.

I wish you could smell it!

pound cake 1824.JPG

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: American Cake

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

Thanks, @traveler - I'm going to look for her website.

I made my first cake from the book tonight. 

It's a Virginia Poundcake, the recipe is from 1824.

I wish you could smell it!

Does it taste as wonderful as it looks? It looks beautiful! A slice would be great with a nice cup of hot tea. Thanks for your picture! Good job, house_cat! I'm anxiously awaiting my copy.

@traveler, I love to sit down with a cookbook and read it from cover to cover, like people read novels. They're so interesting and the pictures can be quite beautiful. I love to learn about cooking and baking; there's always something out there that I didn't know. Cookbooks are just wonderful.

Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72

I can't eat it, so I made my husband give me an honest critique - he said it was a little drier than the ones I normally make. He ate a hefty hunk of it anyway, but I don't think it will be my go-to pound cake recipe.  Still, the book is wonderful and there are so many other cakes to try!

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

My dad gave me a little paper cake recipe book that is very old.  I never made anything from it but this thread has got me thinking about getting it out and baking something.  Enjoy your baking.