Respected Contributor

i bought a new cookbook to read.  American Cake by Anne Byrn.  I love the history and her side stores about the time period.

Respected Contributor

@traveler wrote:

i bought a new cookbook to read.  American Cake by Anne Byrn.  I love the history and her side stores about the time period.

Thank you a Traveler!  I just took a look at it. I love her cake books and have some of them.  I will order it.

Honored Contributor

Oh no... how much is this thread going to cost me?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I got my answer... $17.85

Fortunately, I have Amazon points so I got it for free!

Thank you for posting - this is the first I've heard of the author and I think I'm going to cherish this book.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@traveler

Thank you so much for recommending this book.

I can't tell you how pleased I am with it.

This is an heirloom.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the heads-up about this book. I have her other books from back when I used to use cake mixes and I liked them. 

I do have a question though, if somebody would be so kind. I haven't seen if the recipes use cake mixes? Or are they scratch cakes? I rarely use mixes anymore (when the powers-that-be decreased their mixes by 3 ounces and then pretended the mixes were still fine to use, they lost me as a customer). 

I'd love to order this book if the recipes are from scratch. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

I haven't had a chance to really investigate - arrived home and found it in my mailbox 10 minutes ago.

I don't see any cakes made with mix - it's a history of cakes, with wonderful recipes and glorious photos!  

I can't wait to have time to really get into it!

cake.JPG

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Just ordered it.  Thanks for pointing this out.  I am glad the recipes don't include cake mixes - have never used one.

Respected Contributor

Can you tell me if the icing for the recipe for the multi-layer, chocolate cake is based with confectioner's sugar and butter?

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

Can you tell me if the icing for the recipe for the multi-layer, chocolate cake is based with confectioner's sugar and butter?

@Tigriss

No. It's a ganache.

IMG_1846.JPG

~ house cat ~