Honored Contributor

@patofl wrote:

I would never freeze high quality prime rib. I order ahead at the butcher shop and pick it up fresh on Christmas eve.

If I just wanted it to make right away , say within a few days, the Aldi ones are a good price.

@patofl  If you have a good freezer and the meat is properly wrapped, it won't hurt it a bit.  My dad raised cattle, and when we had them butchered and well wrapped, they kept fine in the freezer for at least 6 months. 

Since those days, I've cooked a lot of them.  It just depends on the quality of the meat and how it is cooked.  And letting it thaw properly and come to room temp or close just before cooking also helps.  And letting it rest a little after cooking--but not too much!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

To report:  Whole Foods and my butcher had Prime prime rib for $19.95 a pound.  One local grocery store group has then for $24.95 a pound.

I bought two pretty ones today at the butcher shop.  

If you want really good and lean, a filet is for you!  

There are different levels of marbeling in Prime, Choice and Select meat.  Select will have very little marbeling in almost all cases.  BUT, if you really paw through the cases you will find some bargains sometimes, especially in the Choice grade.  

Only about 3 to 5 percent of beef is graded Prime if I remember, and then I think about 40 percent is Select.  So there is overlap in the grades and someone who educates themselves on beef can really save some money by paying attention to what different stores sell and how it is graded.

Top Choice and the lesser grades of Choice can range a lot in quality.  Big stores especially often purchase lots that are very mixed in quality.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Aldi's Prime Rib

[ Edited ]

I don’t know where is Aldi.

This is the American Wagyu Prime Rib Roast that I will be cooking sous vide , Medium Rare,  for dinner New Year Eve: 

Snakeriverfarms.com

If you are able, try some some of their beef.

Happy Holidays!

Hung

Valued Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@manhattan1950 wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@manhattan1950

Try this, maybe for a change.........

Get a high-quality piece of beef on your plate, and DO NOT eat the fat parts?

That's what most steak-lovers  and rib-eye lovers do.

I've spent my entire life eating  meats and   trimming fat off of ham slices and roast beef  or anything else, before I eat it.  What remains is very good meat

I've spent my entire life eating healthy food - seafood, chicken, and turkey, so I DON'T  have to trim fat from fatty ham and fatty beef.

OK, so that is great for you-  Everyone should eat what they feel is best for them.

But I am confused...are you loooking for accolades here? I dont really understand your post, nor why you chose to post on an obviously  rib roast  inspired thread at all?

Are you hoping to provoke others on the thread? or  do you feel your eating habits make you somehow superior to others who eat this type of meat, and it is your smug way of a put down?

You tried a similar thing on my "pork belly" thread on the recipe forum, and were pretty much ignored, so now you came here to stir things up a little?

Woman IndifferentWoman IndifferentWoman Indifferent