Honored Contributor

Is in their ad today for $5.99 per lb. Yes they are good.

I bought 2 last year since that's all they had left. 

I got up so I could get over there today to buy some before they sell out. I picked up 3. Going to cut one of them in to steaks. 

It's their Specially Selected Choice Prime Rib.

They are really good made on a rotisserie or smoker.

Regular Contributor

I would never freeze high quality prime rib. I order ahead at the butcher shop and pick it up fresh on Christmas eve.

If I just wanted it to make right away , say within a few days, the Aldi ones are a good price.

Honored Contributor

@patofl wrote:

I would never freeze high quality prime rib. I order ahead at the butcher shop and pick it up fresh on Christmas eve.

If I just wanted it to make right away , say within a few days, the Aldi ones are a good price.

@patofl

We always do it when they have them on sale. Never had any problems. They come in vacuum sealed packaging.

We did order one from the meat market for Thanksgiving. Even though I just picked these up DH still wants to order the prime cut from the meat market for Christmas. They are $75 compared to these around $30 but they are melt in your mouth tender. You can definetley tell a difference in choice & prime cut meat. The choice is still good just not like the prime.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz

Stop telling people!   LOL  I'm hoping to go tomorrow and get two - had one before and it was luscious!

Denise
Respected Contributor

Re: Aldi's Prime Rib

[ Edited ]

If ALDI is actually offering REAL  USDA-graded prime rib roasts, instead of a beef grade more like USDA Choice, that is news to me.  

There has always been some confusion among consumers as to the difference between TRUE prime rib roast, and choice-grade rib roast. 

People often think any rib roast is called "prime rib", but it's not really prime-grade meat. It's good, but it's not prime..

We can occasionally find USDA prime-grade beef steaks and roasts at Costco, but it costs a lot more than the usual steaks or roasts, of course. 

Respected Contributor

@novamc1

I hear what your saying.  Unfortunately we moved from a suburb of Detroit (where there were many bone fide butchers and fruit/vegetable markets) to a place in in FL where the main meat market is called Quality Discount Meats (first time I saw chicken feet for sale).

Outside of Publix, Walmart and Sam's...Aldis wins.

Denise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 wrote:

If ALDI is actually offering REAL  USDA-graded prime rib roasts, instead of a beef grade more like USDA Choice, that is news to me.  

There has always been some confusion among consumers as to the difference between TRUE prime rib roast, and choice-grade rib roast. 

People often think any rib roast is called "prime rib", but it's not really prime-grade meat. It's good, but it's not prime..

We can occasionally find USDA prime-grade beef steaks and roasts at Costco, but it costs a lot more than the usual steaks or roasts, of course. 

@novamc1

They only sell Choice Grade meat at the grocery stores around here. If you want Prime Grade Black Angus you have to go to the meat market.

That's what I said in my other post about buying a 4-5 lb Prime Grade Black Angus Prime Rib Roast for $75 or $18 per lb. vs the Choice Grade Prime Rib Roast at Adli on sale for $5.99 per lb.

The ones I bought were about 5 lbs & around $30 each.

You can definitely taste the difference in Prime vs Choice.

The Prime is so much more tender it melts in your mouth & can cut it with your fork.

The Choice Grade is still good. DH cut 2 of them into ribeye steaks. It's suppose to be nice this weekend so having a couple of friends over to grill steaks out. Froze the other one whole.

Steaks DH cut off Prime Rib from Aldi's.

steaks20181212_170729_resized.jpg

Valued Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@novamc1

They only sell Choice Grade meat at the grocery stores around here. If you want Prime Grade Black Angus you have to go to the meat market.

That's what I said in my other post about buying a 4-5 lb Prime Grade Black Angus Prime Rib Roast for $75 or $18 per lb. vs the Choice Grade Prime Rib Roast at Adli on sale for $5.99 per lb.

The ones I bought were about 5 lbs & around $30 each.

You can definitely taste the difference in Prime vs Choice.

The Prime is so much more tender it melts in your mouth & can cut it with your fork.

The Choice Grade is still good. DH cut 2 of them into ribeye steaks. It's suppose to be nice this weekend so having a couple of friends over to grill steaks out. Froze the other one whole.

Steaks DH cut off Prime Rib from Aldi's.

steaks20181212_170729_resized.jpg

I would NEVER eat that - WAY too much fat - ENJOY!!!
Trusted Contributor

Beautiful looking Ribeyes, my very favorite splurge !!!!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@manhattan1950

Try this, maybe for a change.........

Get a high-quality piece of beef on your plate, and DO NOT eat the fat parts?

That's what most steak-lovers  and rib-eye lovers do.

I've spent my entire life eating  meats and   trimming fat off of ham slices and roast beef  or anything else, before I eat it.  What remains is very good meat