Respected Contributor

@sunshine45, I had one of those. I initially really liked it. Bit of a learning curve on the right amount to use. I liked that butter could drip down. And easy enough to clean.

Unfortunately I discovered that I don't feel comfortable using anything with glass anymore. My grasp isn't what it once was, and I've been slowly eliminating all breakables from my kitchen.

Honored Contributor

We have microwave poppers and use them, but to be honest, nothing we have found beats the old Stir Crazy poppers!  

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

@sunshine45, I had one of those. I initially really liked it. Bit of a learning curve on the right amount to use. I liked that butter could drip down. And easy enough to clean.

Unfortunately I discovered that I don't feel comfortable using anything with glass anymore. My grasp isn't what it once was, and I've been slowly 2eliminating all breakables from my kitchen.

@Etoile308 We have those microwave silicone ones that collapse and they are great!  Easy to use, easy to clean and it's the serving bowl also.  The popcorn is very good.

Respected Contributor

Thanks. For the microwave I also have an old Nordicware bowl type. I comes with a vented lid. Think I got it at Target ages ago. The silicon sounds ideal for space saving.

Honored Contributor

I had the popper that had the handle on the top that you turned ----had that thing for a long time and thought the popcorn taste great--then got an air popper---that was garbage then tried the glass one and that was thumbs down too---funny, I was just on AMZ ready to buy another crank lid type, but will look at the silicone one first---geez we LOVE popcorn!

Respected Contributor

@loriqvc I have the Dash air popper sold on HSN a few years ago. I like it alright , but had the problem you mentioned of it popping everywhere . I learned to hold my bowl in a certain position that elped to catch them . It is not perfection and I still find the odd kernel when I broom clean the floor.

I have always liked Dash products. They extend the warranty on some items when you register the product although I have never needed to use one so far.

Respected Contributor

After the presentation I did my homework.  This model isn't available anywhere else that I could find but other models by the same company got negative reviews on Amazon.  Some were considered a fire hazard, some shot popped corn wildly, some stopped working after a short time.  I also checked recommended poppers, electric and microwave that didn't impress.  I've owned the Whirly Pop stove top model that worked pefectly until the pan bottom somehow bent. 

Now I use a Cooks Essentials no-stick pot where the lid will slightly vent to let out some steam.  It works so well I decided there's no need to buy something that will disappoint.  The very small amount of oil I add doesn't make that much difference to make sure kernels don't stick and burn.

There's no way to escape some kind of clean up.  I also avoided buying one more storage problem.

Honored Contributor

I haven't read the thread so this may have been mentioned. I do mine in a paper lunch size bag with a bit less than 1 quarter cup popcorn in the microwave. Fold top over a with small fold twice and pop about two minutes. Listen for pops to stop. I was very skeptical at first but it works great. No mess and no cleanup.

Contributor

That is what I do. No need to buy anything!  All you need is a brown lunch bag.  I do 1/3 cup organic popcorn in a regular size lunch bag for 2 minutes!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I just got my new popper---ordered it from AMZ ---it is one of the silicone ones for the mirco wave--and holy cow!!!!! what a great little thing it is---and it collapses too, so can store easy in my tiny apt ktchen--also bought some Amish grown hulless corn that is the best corn ever---great purchase