Honored Contributor

I can vouch for the Aldi's 1/2 & 1/2, and for the boxed set of 4 heads of baby lettuce, 2 red lettuce, 2 green. Both of these are favorably comparable to supermarket brands.

The Balsamic Vinegar is, to my tongue, HORRIBLE, and I won't buy it again. Different strokes......

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @ULY, I just found out there's an Aldi's near me. Never been in one before so I was looking for information about whether thay are just another supermarket or if there's something special about them. Your comment about people being apprehensive has be curious--why be apprehensive about a grocery store? Are they weird in some way? Is it a warehouse kind of place, or ? I feel like I remember shopping at Aldi when I was staying in Germany, but I might not be remembering correctly. The shop was rather small, with produce out front like Sprout's, but a lot of local products, which I liked. Any info you might share? Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@KaySD I love shopping at Aldi's!  They have great quality and selection but they are a bit different from other grocery stores.

First off, come prepared with a quarter as they tether their carts together which is great as you never have to worry about a cart running into your car!

Second, they now take most payment methods (this recently changed to include credit cards) but no coupons and you bag our own groceries.  You also need to either bring your own bags or purchase them when you are in line (or do what some folks do, load up their cart, toss it into the trunk and then sort it out when they get home).

They have a few nationally recongized brands but those are not typical.  Their house brands are for the most part delicious.  I love their quality and don't hesitate purchasing anything from them plus they have a great money back guarantee (and they are very good at honoring).

Their weekly specials are fun and something I always look forward to seeing.  This week centers on the bedroom but I got some great garden things a month or so ago.  Again, great quality for the money.

I hope you enjoy shopping there should you go @KaySD.  I personally feel it is worth taking a look . . . Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Hey, thanks @momtochloe! What a helpful overview. I thought it was just another grocery store, but now I'm going to make a point of checking it out. I figure I can probably bag my groceries better than a lot of checkout people anyway, right? I always wince when the oranges get tossed on top of the parsley!

I just went to look at their flyer for the week. Some of the prices are the same as elsewhere, but there are a few items that are real bargains if the quality is good too. 

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

Hey, thanks @momtochloe! What a helpful overview. I thought it was just another grocery store, but now I'm going to make a point of checking it out. I figure I can probably bag my groceries better than a lot of checkout people anyway, right? I always wince when the oranges get tossed on top of the parsley!

I just went to look at their flyer for the week. Some of the prices are the same as elsewhere, but there are a few items that are real bargains if the quality is good too. 

@KaySD I hope you enjoy shopping there and if you have any additional questions please feel free to ask!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I did go there when it was just opened. There was a coupon to get $5 off you spent 30. I had my son with me and really didn't need much. Just wanted to see what it was like. Really small compared to other stores. It is right across from Walmart so I don't know if it will make it. It is at one end of the city and I am at the other where th ere are more stores to go to so I probably won't go unless I am near and something real special.

Regular Contributor

Re: ALDI'S BRANDS

[ Edited ]

@KaySD wrote:

Hi, @ULY, I just found out there's an Aldi's near me. Never been in one before so I was looking for information about whether thay are just another supermarket or if there's something special about them. Your comment about people being apprehensive has be curious--why be apprehensive about a grocery store? Are they weird in some way? Is it a warehouse kind of place, or ? I feel like I remember shopping at Aldi when I was staying in Germany, but I might not be remembering correctly. The shop was rather small, with produce out front like Sprout's, but a lot of local products, which I liked. Any info you might share? Thanks! 

The store is rather generic looking and people tend to judge things on appearance. Both inside and out are rather dull and not overly inviting IMO but the products are worth the money. If people can get over the lack of flash and panache, it's a great store. Aldi's is German owned which is why you will see German specialty products being sold. Not every product I purchased was something I'd buy again but 99% of what I have purchased was great. As an example, it sells lactose free milk that is better than any other brand (named or generic) that I've tried. Their branded cookies taste just like the obes made by the girl scouts, those elves, etc..,