Trusted Contributor

Aldi's recently opened in So. Calif. and we are still experimenting with a number of the products they sell.  This week's ad has the "Belmont" brand Low Fat Ice Cream (Peaches & Creme) at a good price.  Does anyone else recognize this brand?  I am wondering what the quality of this variety is.  They also list "Specially Selected" and "Premium" varieties also.  Would appreciate your feedback.

We are impressed with the store and it is so nice and clean.  Prices are good also.

Trusted Contributor

Unless one shops at Aldi, it is unlikely one is familiar with this brand.

Aldi, like its sister company Trader Joe's (each owned by different branches of the same family), specializes in private label merchandise which is made specifically for the respective store.

Try the ice cream -- or anything else -- if it sounds good.  They offer a moneyback guarantee if you are not happy with any product.

Honored Contributor

Re: ALDI'S BRANDS

[ Edited ]

I picked up 2 different flavors of the Belmont brand Gelato & threw them in the trash. Most would have ate it but it was not what I was looking for. They used to carry Priano brand Gelato that was delish. IMO the Belmont did not taste like Gelato. I have not bought any other Belmont brand items. I have bought a lot of the Specially Selected & all has been good other then a few chocolate truffle flavors we did not care for. LOL!!! I know I have bought some Premium but don't remember what they were. I love their Specially Selected Sea Salt Caramels. Just picked up a container today.

Respected Contributor

We've had an Aldi's in our area for about 15 years, so I think I can say with confidence, that these brands are Aldi's brand names that are made by big companies. As you shop there more you will be able to tell which items are brand names with a different label. Sometimes you can even tell by the color of the label that it resembles.  Also they change vendors from time to time too. So it's a hard call to say exactly which vendors they use.

Honored Contributor

I've only been there twice and wasn't impressed with ours either time.

What I don't like is that they package their stuff to look like national brand items.

Trusted Contributor

Re: ALDI'S BRANDS

[ Edited ]

@WORKING GAL wrote:

Aldi's recently opened in So. Calif. and we are still experimenting with a number of the products they sell.  This week's ad has the "Belmont" brand Low Fat Ice Cream (Peaches & Creme) at a good price.  Does anyone else recognize this brand?  I am wondering what the quality of this variety is.  They also list "Specially Selected" and "Premium" varieties also.  Would appreciate your feedback.

We are impressed with the store and it is so nice and clean.  Prices are good also.

I'm not aware of who makes their ice cream for them.

As someone else said, once you shop there enough, you can pretty much figure out who makes their private label brands for them, although I have noticed too, that they will sometimes switch manufacturers on their products.

Sometimes you are able to tell because you'll get used to a product there, and then you'll notice a change with it.

I don't mean that that's necessarily a negative change-just that there's a difference. Smiley Happy

All that I can say is to just try their items for yourself, to see what you like/if you like them.

As KyToby mentioned, they offer a money back guarantee on their products. 

I'm editing my post to say that we like their ice cream bars, like their sundae cones and ice cream sandwiches, and chocolate-covered ice cream bars.

Those are all really good, and then they'll seasonally bring in popsicles, and other ice cream bars like the Good Humor-type eclair bars, and the Dreamsicle-type orange-vanilla bars.

If you like any of those kinds of ice cream bars too, those are all very good. 

I like to eat popsicles, and their popsicles are good, especially their red-white-blue pops. Those are a specialty value that run on a limited edition during the Summer. They're lemonade, cherry, and then I think like a blue raspberry flavor, or something like that. Yummy! 

Esteemed Contributor

They have their own store brands and labels.  They occassionally have name brand items at a lower price.

Aldi brands are the same quality as the nationwide labels, but they cost a lot less.

I have been shopping there for a year now.  I have not been disappointed with anything that I have bought.  I have had to return several items, but it wasn't due to the quality.

Keep in mind that you can return the items with or without your receipt and exchange them or get a full refund.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

I tell people who aren't familiar with Aldi to keep an open mind when they go.  It's a different shopping experience from the regular grocery store.  I didn't care for it at first but it grew on me!  I am not a person who is tied to brand names.  There are very few things that I have to have that are brands.  So, for me, this store is perfect.  I don't mind trying different things and I am willing to try off brands and their brand to save money.  I have rarely been disappointed in anything purchased there.  On the rare occasion that something has been less than satisfatory, I simply return.  They give you no problem.  My theory is --- you won't know unless you try!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Regular Contributor

People might be apprehensive when it comes to trying Aldi's brand food but really, it is quite good and tastes like the name brand. Of course there are some things which can not repliate the big name products but for the most part, they really do. I'm far from cheap (maybe frugal) but I hit Aldi's because what I buy meets my approval. Produce is good although the selection is small. Meats are also tasty whether the gourmet (non frozen) high end burgers or chick and beef for the smoker.

Super Contributor

I live in the Chicagoland area, and I know for a fact that Aldi's ice cream is made by Deans, a quality brand name in our area. They carry the same flavors of ice cream that Deans has. Their milk very possibly come from them also. How do I know this? Because I have seen the Deans delivery semi in Aldi's loading dock on more than one occasion.