Valued Contributor

Re: A Dessert You Would Love To Have

Key lime pie. 

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 

I suggest trying your mothers fudge recipe again, using a heaping teaspoon of cornstarch with the sugar mixture to assure a firm end result.   

A friend from work always complained about her fudge not turning out well, but since she tried my cornstarch tip, she's much happier with her fudge making, and sharing fudge with everyone.

Valued Contributor

A slice of apple pie made from Northern Spy apples or 

A apple Dumpling made with warm Vanilla Sauce...

Respected Contributor

My mom used to make the best apple pie.  The crust was so flaky and the apples were sweet but firm.  I hate an apple pie with mushy apples.  As many times as she tried to teach me to make a good crust I just could never master it as well as she could. 

She also used to make angel food cake in a tube pan.  I loved it with strawberries or even just plain.  I never tried to make it.  I know it's probably not that difficult but when I get the craving I just buy one at the store.  It's usually just a once a year treat since it's so high in sodium.

I miss the days when we could eat desserts like pie and cake and not feel guilty.  Now if I eat a small piece of chocolate I worry about how much sugar it contains.  

Respected Contributor

@RedTop   Thank you for the tip.  I may not try until closer to the holidays, but I will try it.  Also going to ask a friend that makes fudge close to my mothers, what do they do.  I will try the cornstarch.  Thanks for taking time to reply.  🥳🎉

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 

My mother was a big fudge maker up until her dementia advanced significantly.  She swore the factory overprocessing of the granulated sugar was the cause of the texture issues with the fudge.  

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@lynnie61 

My mother was a big fudge maker up until her dementia advanced significantly.  She swore the factory overprocessing of the granulated sugar was the cause of the texture issues with the fudge.  

@RedTop 

Was your mother's fudge the type made with marshmellow creme?

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

No, mom doesn't like or make fantasy fudge; only old fashioned chocolate fudge and peanut butter fudge.  

Honored Contributor

@RedTop 

I have a 1950's Betty Crocker cookbook.  I'll look for you.

Do you happen to remember when she began making that fudge?

Church cookbooks seem to have began in the 1960's if you recall if she had a favorite.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Moms recipe is the same one her mother always made, which requires beating the fudge for about 10 minutes before pouring into a buttered dish or platter.  My guess is it's the only fudge my grandmother ever made.