Respected Contributor

Re: Judith Ripka NEW Athena WATCH

I think it looks like a fun casual summer watch, affordable, the "look" of ceramic  but not the weight or the price, and sort of fills in the niche of all the old Joan Rivers fun casual blingy watches.

I'd get one if I needed a white watch, but I have her white ceramic and still love that.  Looks like it is a bit adjustable in size as well.

And....sometimes in the middle of summer it's fun to get something new to perk up summer outfits, not think just yet about moving into fall.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Um, no .... I agree that the IM ceramic is super hard and practically unbreakable, so for another $60 you know it will last.

The deterring factor here is that it's PLASTIC .... if you accidentally hit it against something and it cracks, what are you going to do, hope it "fixes" with krazy glue?

Not everyone is gentle with their jewelry.

Honored Contributor

@iTalia wrote:

J326022... So what does everyone think of Ripka's New watch?? Number one, it's made out of plastic. It cracks me up how Rick is trying to spin the word plastic to make it sound more fancy. He's describing it by saying it's "plasteek". Spelling it how he pronounced it, Lol.

Is anyone buying it? The price is decent for what it is. I like the colors and was going to choose Pink, but both Judith & Rick said it's more purple pink, than just straight up pink. Hmmm... I wanted a true PINK! 

I may pass on it, still deciding. 

So... I don't know about his word choice there. If I were trying to sell a plastic watch, I wouldn't call it "plastique," which is the name of an explosive substance. Maybe he was hoping the phone lines would explode with buyers?

Frequent Contributor

ITALIA: I like the watch in the pink. I also like the white, A nice clean summer look, I wonder how the "plasteek" will hold up?

Respected Contributor

I own Ripka's black and white expensive ceramic watches.  They are so lovely.  I am taking a pass on the Athena.  I think they are cute though and cheap.

Valued Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@iTalia wrote:

J326022... So what does everyone think of Ripka's New watch?? Number one, it's made out of plastic. It cracks me up how Rick is trying to spin the word plastic to make it sound more fancy. He's describing it by saying it's "plasteek". Spelling it how he pronounced it, Lol.

Is anyone buying it? The price is decent for what it is. I like the colors and was going to choose Pink, but both Judith & Rick said it's more purple pink, than just straight up pink. Hmmm... I wanted a true PINK! 

I may pass on it, still deciding. 

So... I don't know about his word choice there. If I were trying to sell a plastic watch, I wouldn't call it "plastique," which is the name of an explosive substance. Maybe he was hoping the phone lines would explode with buyers?

Oh ChynnaBlue, your last line literally made me laugh out loud!! So funny! I agree, Rick's choice of word to describe this Athena watch was quite comical. I know why he was trying to use the word that he did to make it sound so "upscale" but it fell very short. It was a slight of hand kind of comment, HaHa..... Smiley Surprised

Contributor

Skipping it.  Maybe when it's on clearance.

Trusted Contributor

Hi iTalia, BlingQueen, just wanted to jet you know that I received the pink Athena watch and it is most definitely a true pink. No hint of the mauve/ lavender tones that Rick kept refering to during the presentation. It is a pretty , fun , lightweight watch and this is the first small Ripka watch that I need not have links taken out of. The small fits perfectly on my 5-1/2 inch wrist. It has a fold over clasp as opposed to the usual deployment one and the links seem removable in case someone wants to. Easy to read, the pink numerals and the pink diamonique are quite subtle . The berge on the plastic links is nice as well. Overall, I love the watch and I may get the blue as well later. It is an inexpensive fun summer watch for when I don't want to wear the more expensive ones.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@anisha wrote:
HiiTalia,BlingQueen, just wanted to jet you know that I received the pink Athena watch and it is most definitely a true pink. No hint of the mauve/ lavender tones that Rick keptrefering to during the presentation. It is a pretty , fun , lightweight watch and this is the first smallRipka watch that I need not have links taken out of. The small fits perfectly on my 5-1/2 inch wrist. It has a fold over clasp as opposed to the usual deployment one and the links seem removable in case someone wants to. Easy to read, the pink numerals and the pinkdiamonique are quite subtle . Theberge on the plastic links is nice as well. Overall, I love the watch and I may get the blue as well later. It is an inexpensive fun summer watch for when I don't want to wear the more expensive ones.

Hi anisha! What a sweetie you are to reply back about this watch. I thank you! 

This Athena watch sounds like it's a winner. I'm glad to hear it's a TRUE PINK color. That was my biggest concern and was holding me back. Not sure why Rick or Judith were saying the color was leaning towards purple-pink. 

Watch seems like it's meant to just be a fun, casual chic kind of look. I too like the subtle details with the berge links and the foldover type of deployment clasp. Typically for this price, you'd expect to see more of an inexpensive type of clasp. Also love when you say no links need to be removed for your small wrist. Mine is just a little bit tinier than yours and sometimes it's a pain to have to go get links removed before you can even wear it. With this, sounds like that shouldn't be an issue, yay! I really am loving it all over again now after your review. Thanks again for coming back to this thread with your thoughts.