Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Jk9 I do have those backings, but my ears are very sensitive, meaning bad metal makes them swell, so I have never used them (came in a kit with other stuff).  My piercing is not stretched, but it does stretch with these earrings.  I know one time I had those backings made of sticky paper that helped keep earrings sit perky, and maybe they will help, but the weight of the earring will still be there.  They are heavy!

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe I understand.  Those earrings are at the limit I can wear and I don't wear them for extended periods.  Sounds  like you have done what you can and I would move forward with revising the earrings.  They will still look great and yours will be unique.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

Re: turquoise earrings

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe.  That style would be lovely on someone with a long slender neck, which wouldn't be me.  I personally prefer designs with a more organic, artisian look.

The turquoise is nothing special.  Strange Affinity wants to be known as our gem supplier but they don't even mention the source of the stone.  Every good supplier does that routinely.

That's a lot of money for no-name turquoise.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

That is what I was thinking @Kachina624, They don't even state what kind of turquoise it is, and it is very expensive.  I know you know a lot about turquoise, and I was wondering if you could see something I miss.  Pretty design, price too high, too little info.  Decided to pass.

Trusted Contributor
I like the JTV one the best. I’ve had wonderful luck with them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

what is the turquoise? If it is Sleeping beauty than I can see the price being that much--

no, not SB turq---not that clear blue--yes, way over priced 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe  If you have a Michael's near you (or online),

you can purchase sterling silver lever backs there. You can also get them from Fire Mountain Gems online.

You will need small jewelry pliers, which you can get at either store. If you know someone who makes silver jewelry, they could do it for you and you would not have to purchase pliers. Perhaps someone at a local Michael's or Joanne's could do it for you. They sometimes have people working there who do jewelry making classes and are capable of doing that for you.

I make silver and sea glass jewelry. I could do it for you in five minutes. If you do it yourself, just remember to not cut the ring at the top of the stone. You will need small wire cutters to cut where the stone above is attached to the ring. You will need that ring to attach the lever back.

If you do it yourself, you will need two small pliers to open the ring at the bottom of the lever back, to twist the two sides open. There are videos online to show how to make earrings and to attach a lever back to the earring.  Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Enufstuff!

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe  You are welcome.

Super Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@SilleeMee I had bought these bigger dangles from HSN Chaco Canyon Kingman Turquoise earrings in Dec 2020 for $155, they are about 2 1/2 " long, but they really pull my earlobe in an unattractive way and I didn't notice for a while due to being housebound during the pandemic.  So I continue to look.  Maybe I should just have them altered, maybe that will work.  But jewelry modifications are pricy too, and one never knows if they will work out.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 8.43.05 PM.png

You can potentially remove the lower piece and polish the bottom. Nail files are pretty much the jewelry files. The stones seem to have metal around them, it should not be too diffiuclt. I have a friend who makes jewelry and a lot of her tools come from husband's tool box.