Honored Contributor

Re: Wedding Set Replacement - INPUT PLEASE!

Here are things I would consider, if you don't want to hold the jeweler responsible for what has happened.

First, don't use that jeweler again!

Second, If I understand correctly, the original setting is 14k gold. Use this if you still love it and have it reset. If you need to save up for a new stone or a real diamond, it might be worth the wait to keep your beautiful set.

If you want to consider something new/different, there are pawn shops, flea markets and second hand jewelry stores that have such beautiful pieces, many vintage, at reasonable costs. You might be able to get real gold with real diamonds for such a reasonable price, then not have to worry about how they will hold up over time.

The mark up on new jewelry is simply awful, consider a beautiful second hand piece, and often the quality of the gold and stones isn't replicated in anything new.

Honored Contributor

I don't own any clad. I do have one family heirloom that's filled gold. I want to say it's 12kt but I'd have to go look. It's a necklace though and not a ring. It's about 100 years old at this point. It still looks fine. 

If you're going to wear these rings every day and never take them off, I'd personally go with a solid metal, even if it's sterling silver. Rings take a lot of wear. My moms rings are only about 20ish years old ( solid 14k gold) and they've gotten thin enough they need to be repaired, although I'm sure she probably also had them sized up over time and wears them constantly. 

I only wear my rings if I'm leaving the house and take them off at home so mine are in very good shape. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Regular Contributor

The OP has stated she cannot afford to replace her rings in 14k gold, so she sure cannot afford to purchase Moissanite, for those of you suggesting that as a replacement.  Moissanite is not inexpensive.

OP, I would see if QVC could possibly replace the cz in your 14k setting.  If not, I would see if a reputable jeweler would replace it for you.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@AdrienneK,I'm so sorry for what happened to your set.  If I can help, I sold fine jewelry for Belk and was trained by and worked with a gemologist.

What probably happened to your set was a cleaning method damaged the stone.

The platinum clad wears off with constant hand washing, so beware of it "lasting".  Diamonique in 14K is a good product if you find a set you love.  Also, many jewelers carry estate jewelry and that is where you can find an amazing deal.  The standard price is usually 50% of the origonal value.  You can get an actual diamond for far less because it is preowned.

I hope you find what you love.

Contributor

I read somewhere that platinum scratches easier than gold and softer metal than gold. Not sure if its true, you better ask a local jeweler.

New Contributor

For wedding set replacement simlpy search online jewelry portal and conatct them. Very easy way to resale your products.