Occasional Contributor

Wedding Set Replacement - INPUT PLEASE!

I need to replace my wedding set (ring guard and oval solitaire each of which was originally purchased 21 years ago on QVC - see the picture). The set needed to be re-soldered and our regular jeweler had gone out of business. When the ring came back from the new jeweler, suddenly a stone fell out and the center stone just wasn't the same (very cloudy and crackled). We think they took out the original stones and replaced them but we can't prove it. I am heartbroken. Bottom line is I am looking for a long-time replacement wedding set but I am feeling very insecure about the terms "platinum clad" and "14kt clad" over sterling silver. What are your experiences with these rings? Do they tarnish early or easily?  We simply cannot afford to replace the 14kt gold bands at this point.  Should I stick with straight sterling silver and Diamonique?  I am very unsure about the "clad" rings being long-lasting. The community's feedback would be really helpful in selecting a new set.  Thank you in advance.

20171004_171612.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Wedding Set Replacement - INPUT PLEASE!

Is the ring pictured a diamond or Diamonique?  If it's a diamond I'd be taking the jeweler to court.  If it'sDMQ, doesn't it have a lifetime guarantee?

Occasional Contributor

The center stone on the solitaire was definitely cubic zirconia.  It's been 21 years so I don't remember if the "Diamonique" brand name was even out then.  I don't remember about the stones on the ring guard either. I am too old (and not financially able to engage legal aid) at this point to go through a lot of  legal issues.  I just want a replacement set so my question about the platinum clad and 14kt clad is most important to me right now.

Respected Contributor

just thought i'd throw my two cents in. i have quite a bit of experience with jewelry from selling for years, but i am in no way a expert.  

if you plan on wearing the replacement 7/24 ie.doing chores, cleaning, and the like, the plating WILL wear off, unless you take them off when using cleaning products and bathing. OTOH i have many pieces that i have had for years and years. but i don't wear anything 7/24. How long it takes depends on you. 

Honored Contributor

Diamonique was very definitely around 21 years ago and longer.  What métal is your ring?  Who did the repair work on it? You haven't given us a lot of information.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

currently diamonique has lifetime warranty.  so any choice you make would be covered.

some have no issue with 14k clad wearing off.  some do.  

platinum over sterling is less of an issue.

have fun choosing your replacement!

http://www.qvc.com/content/jewelry/diamonique-wedding-classics.html?viewType=gallery&pageSize=96

J337143.jpg

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much!  That is exactly what I was trying to get information on.  Grateful!

Occasional Contributor

My orignal set was 14kt gold.  We can't afford to replace with that metal at this point which is why I was looking at sterling silver.  My question was if platimun or 14kt gold "clad" was a durable.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much!

Valued Contributor

Your rings are lovely!  Woman Happy If you still enjoy wearing the set you should find another jeweler and ask that the CZ stones be reset or replaced. CZ stones don't usually cost that much. Usually only $10 or $20 for individual nice-quality stones. The last jeweler I went to charged about $40 to reset a stone. You could probably get both stones replaced and reset for under $100.

Diamonique was definitely around 21 years ago. If you don't have receipts for the rings customer service can dig back through the microfilm in its archives and locate your receipts if you have an approximate age for the rings.

That must be very upsetting that the jeweler messed up your rings. I've had jewelers muck up pieces of jewelry I took in for very simple repairs, and I understand not wanting to pursue the matter and just find another more competent jeweler. Good luck!