Respected Contributor

Ladies I'm back.   Jenagal found me and woke me up.

I'm so glad there is a new watch thread.  Mixed blessing,

of course,  since I do not need anymore watches.  But,

I've missed you all and the Watch Collectors Thread was

always a great group.  It's wonderful to see all the familiar names and also some new ones.  That was always one of the best things about the group.... everyone is welcome. 

Like most of you,  my watches sat for the last 2+ years and the batteries died.  During that time my jeweler moved and I'm no longer able to get to his store.

I used to keep up with the battery replacement.... an ongoing task.   Well,  after 2 years of inattention on my part.... it's a disaster.   The sheer volume of batteries to be replaced is a monumental task,  no to mention cost.

Why did I ever think I needed every color dial and strap and bracelet on every style and brand of watch that I liked?  🙄 I must have had a good reason,  but now,  I'm

just not sure what I was thinking.  Still,  I feel commited to have the dead batteries replaced.

I never wore a watch in the house,  and over the last 2 years,  I haven't been out and about very much.  Now I'm

rediscovering my watches and jewelry.  It seems to me that things have gotten so much more casual that the

diamond watches don't feel right for everyday.  I know that  Invicta has been showing lots of diamond watches

(mainly mens),  but I haven't seen the rest of the fashion world catching up to large watches with lots of diamond bling.   Even jewelry is small and delicate.  Of course,

no one can afford large diamond and gold pieces these days.

36mm was always my sweet spot for watch case size,

but I did collect quite a few watches that were 38, 40, or even 42mm.   Now I'm often finding some of them too big and too heavy.  And in the heat of summer,  I'm appreciating some of the 32 and 34mm watches.  I can't believe I'm saying that!  Blame it on the fact that my watch carrying muscles haven't been exercised for 2 years.  I need to get back with the program. 😁 

My most worn watches these days are the ceramics (Swiss Legend Karamica)  in white and bone and the Renato Sapphire Collection (beveled dial) strap watches with the gemstones sprinkled on the dial.

Anyone know what happened to Renato?

Trusted Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS 2022

[ Edited ]

@Lavenderjunkie.   @JavaQueen  @JazzyVR @aubnwa01 

Finding you was a miracle.  Anyway it was meant to be.   Lol.  

You ask about Renato?  I have no idea.  All I know is I paid $100 for a lifetime warranty for all my Renatos and never used it once.  Once I get my watches up and running again, I hope I don't find problems.  Somewhere I have the paperwork for this warranty work.  I think that was a last ditch effort for them to gain extra $$ offering that warranty.  Yes I think we ought to find Renato.

I haven't looked at all my watches in a couple of years.  How could ANY one of them be running yet?  Oh my, what an expense I have ahead of me.

LJ, when I find out why I bought all colors of all those strapped Renatos, that special collection of which I draw a mental blank.  What were they called?  Anyway they all are so awesome.  I love my watches.  Most of them.  I think I went thru a period of not knowing what I was doing.   LOL.  I'm laughing but its not funny.  I have way too many watches, it was fun capturing them, it was an addiction.  I am now cured.  

Anyway gals, LJ is back with us, we are whole now.  We do have some missing.  Hopefully Jazzy, and others find us.

Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rereading your post, LJ. That collection I went overboard on was the Sapphire. They are beautiful. With my old eyes these days, I do like the larger dials.

Respected Contributor

Jena:  I'm going out to lunch this week and I'm going to wear a diamond Renato.  I must have one with a blue dial...

either a Beauty or a Wildebeast.  Most likely at least 1 from each collection.   And I seem to recall, a light blue dial

one also,  with the diamond swirls on the dial.   Don't remember what the style was called,  but it was a Wildebeast case design.   Now I have to find an outfit,

a handbag, and jewelry to coordinate with my watch.

First I better check to see if there is one with the battery

still working.  (I have had a number of batteries changed

this year,  but my watch organization has gone to **ll.

Didn't we buy Clerc watches with diamond bezels and

light blue or light pink MOP dials?  I remember the watches had octangonal cases.  Haven't seen those in a while.... wonder where I hid them?

Trusted Contributor

LJ, I haven't started the lunching out yet.  Seems like my day is not at all organized.  What I need is someone to get after me and tell me to go to lunch....lol.

Yes I remember the Clerc., but I couldnt tell you how many I own.  1 blue I know.  Now thats one watch I wouldnt own but for you.   I love it.  I must start digging out my lovelies and call the jeweler.  I'd rather get a root canal.  I really hate this.  Its a none stop ritual about to start.  My jeweler better help me out with settling on a good deal, for both of us.  

Aub, I was looking thru the Citizen site, just tempting myself but TG I found nothing I 'needed'.  Lol.   They do have a great priced pink MOP dial that was really tempting but not at a 30MM dial.  Just too small.  

LJ, now I'm curious, what do I own in Clerc's?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jenagal, @Lavenderjunkie Hi!  I only have 3 quartz watches that are running & it's because I was able to get the backs off myself & order new batteries from A for them!  They're a 36mm Michele that I can't recall the name of, a gold Renato Vulcan with a sky blue dial & a Deep Blue Lady Diver with a pink mop dial & tritium tube hour markers. 

Other than that, the only watches I've worn are Citizen Eco Drives & I'm not on the hunt for anything new.  I have a SS Renato Vulcan with a purple dial that I had planned on changing the batteries when I did the other one, but I couldn't get the screws on the back to budge & didn't want to force it.  The jeweler I used to take my watches to change batteries started charging $25 a pop & that was too rich for me, especially considering how many I have! 

I remember when we'd stalk those Renato TS's & I still missed out on most of them, which is probably a blessing!  I have a couple of Wildebeests on lizard straps & a Beauty as it is.  I don't even want to open the watch storage boxes I have as I know they're ALL deadies!

My most recent acquisition is still the Citizen Arezzo with the Roman Numeral hour markers & I'm good!

I can't recall the last time I went out to lunch!  My outings mostly consist of going to the grocery store or Costco or dr. & dental stuff, I don't get out much! 

Hope eveyone's well!

ETA: My satellite co. (Dish) no longer airs whatever the co is that used to show all the Invicta shows, though I lost interest in them long ago.  Obviously, I'm not their target customer, since I have zero need for a watch with a face the size of a dinner plate!

Respected Contributor

aubnwa:  I think it's callled ShopHQ now.  They have changed the name of the station every few years. Invicta is still a major part of their programming but most of the styles are not for me and really larger cases and big, heavy watches.  The womens watches are typically under 34mm and focus more on fashion than watch collecting.   

Right now they seem

to have brought back a lot of jewelry shows,  some higher end and certainly interesting to watch,  as well as a whole range of 'fashion or contemporary jewelry'.  Much of it is

Italian design,  gold over silver, gold over bronze, or

gold over resign.   The designs very much remind me of

the bolder gold jewelry from the years past.   It's refreshing

to see those styles back again.  I was never one for delicate  tiny jewelry.   And they are up front about what the jewelry is made of,  and the shows for each category are separated,  so there is no confusion if you listen.

Watching them motivates me to open my jewelry boxes and dig out some of my older pieces.   Only problem is no place to wear them and with my arthritis,  heavy necklaces and earrings don't work too well for me.   But I love the look.

As for going out to lunch..... only outdoors, and no more than once every few months.  My friends think I am overly careful,  but.... even the little I do go out isn't

comfortable for me.   It's a trade-off.... risk vs. reward.

Good thing I can order most stuff online.... food, clothing,

meds, and all sorts of stuff to clutter my cabinets. 

Between my arthritis and the pandemic,  leaving the house isn't as much fun as it used to be.

I haven't bought a watch in a few years.... too many to wear,  and the maintenance is a big hassle, and expense.   What was I thinking?   My collecting turned toward handbags,  until I filled the house,  floor to ceiling with handbags.   What was I thinking?  No maintenance costs for the handbags,  but the storage is a real problem.   So,  no more handbags.   Then I turned to bath and body products.... at least they get used up.

But I just cancelled my auto deliviers and am avoidimg all the sale emails.  We will see if I can stay strong.   Notice a pattern here?🤣  I guess we all spend our $ on something.  And as we have talked about many times....

your money, your choice, as long as your obligations are taken care of and you've planned for your future.

There is a reason we called it the Watch COLLECTORS thread!     🥰🥰🥰

Respected Contributor

Let's talk about watch movements and what we have learned over the past few years.  I think the key thing for me is that a Swiss movement does not always equal quality.  Many Swiss quartz movements,  even from top movement companies, contain some plastic parts,  and the failure rate, at least from my personal experience,  is high.  This is particiularly true of chronograph movements.

We've been led to believe that a Swiss Movement means

a really good quality movement.  But watch manufactures can choose from a range of movements, and the most popular are not always the best.  Not naming names here.  If a watch has a lifetime warranty,  then we think,

doesn't matter,  if the movement fails,  the watch manufacturer will just replace it for you,  after you pay for shipping both ways and insurance.   But.... doesn't always work out that way.  Watcch manufacturers change their warranty policies,  older movements might not be available, or the watch company disappears.

So you may be stuck with an expensive watch that doesn't work.  Even if you can find a jeweler to replace the movement,  your cost will probably be at least $200.

And it could be higher.... if the watch movement is replaced by the watch manufacturer once the warranty expired,  then the cost could be closer to $500.  And there are fewer and fewer local jewelers who have the skills to replace a movement.... even a quartz one that's

just popped into the watch and 'attached'.

Lot's more to say on the subject,  but I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Trusted Contributor

Happy New Year to all the Watch lovers.  It took us forever to get back together and then I let the ball drop again.  Hopefully we check out this forum every once in a while to see if there is any activity.

Here I let a whole summer and fall go by and did not visit my jeweler. I have a ton of dead watches and I have to get started at getting them rid of their dead batteries before they leak.  Thank goodness I do have a dozen or so of automatics or solar battery watches.  So I have been able to wear, just not able to pick just any watch.  

Anyway, Watch Lovers, hope all is well with you.  After COVID 19, nothing is the same.  Will it just all go away.

I'll check back to see who has arrived. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

~Happy New Year~ everyone.  We need a great year ahead to make up for the last one.  

Any watch lover around?  

It seems like for me its so easy to get side tracked and I got off posting for sometime here.  What do you call it, a funk. Well lets get back to what we love.  

Hello!!