Trusted Contributor

WATCH COLLECTORS 2022

[ Edited ]

Hey Lavenderjunkie, Aubnwa01, Kachina624, Jazzy VR and others!!!

Maybe after the 2 year COVID we can get back to having a life.  Anyone around? 

Does anyone have watches with all dead batteries like I do.  Everything came to a halt for me.  If it weren't for my automatics and solar battery watches, I'd be watchless.  

Let's hear from the collectors we used to have following us.  

Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Honored Contributor

@jenagal  "Does anyone have watches with all dead batteries like I do."

You don't pull the crown out to prevent the battery from running when watch(es) are not in use?   If not, why not?  confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Hi @jenagal ,  So good to hear from you after such a long time.  Have you and dh been okay thru the Covid horror?

Yes, indeed, I have boxes of dead soldiers.  I was at our local very nice independent jewelry store one day when the owner approached me, gave me her card and said any time I brought in 20 watches, they replace the batteries for $100.  Pretty good deal.  I usually take in 4 or 5 favorites at a time and get one done free.  I'll get that 20 together one of these days.

I think about you guys and our glory days of watch buying often.  We spent a bunch of money but had so much fun.  That's how I got started here on the boards.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@jenagal  "Does anyone have watches with all dead batteries like I do."

You don't pull the crown out to prevent the battery from running when watch(es) are not in use?   If not, why not?  confused.gif

@Mz iMac    Watch experts advise against that practice because pulling the crown allows dirt, dust and moisture to enter the works of the watch.  I've never done it because I have some expensive watches.

Trusted Contributor

Hi Kachina.  Yes both DH and myself have escaped the CVD.  TG.  

I have so many dead soldiers that it posses a problem.  I am going to talk to my jeweler also, they surely have to make me a deal.  

Pulling the stem on expensive watches makes for more problems.  I've never done it either for I don't want moisture in the movement.  Too much $$ for that.  

Now where is LJ?

Honored Contributor

@jenagal    LJ has posted recently on the Beauty forum.  If you insert the @ symbol then click on her name in the drop-down box or type her name exactly, she'll get a notification that you've mention her, just as I've done here for you.

@Lavenderjunkie

Honored Contributor

I always pull the stem out when not wearing them.  I have so many it would cost a small fortune to replace them if they all went dead.  Why waste battery life.

Honored Contributor

@jenagal  @Kachina624 

When my watches are not in use, I keep them in velvet & satin pouches.  Then I store inside my jewelry box.

I must admit I vaugly remember my daughter saying something similar as you 2 mentioned regarding pulling the stem/crown out to save battery life.  It went in one ear & out the other since I protect my watches from the elements when not in use.

I am now down to 3 expensive watches.  About a month ago I mailed all the rest of my watches to my daughter who is a watch collector.

I wear my watches every day.  Even though I have wall clocks in every room, comp clock, I still at times ask my Echo DOT what time it is. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Hi Mz iMac.

I hear what you are saying, I really protect mine too.  But think about it.  When the crown is pulled, the battery is still chugging in there only not going anywhere.  It might save some battery time but the life of the battery itself is not loving the paralyzed state.  Watches are not to set in the dead state either, for sometimes the battery will leak and go into the movement, thereby ruining it. So mine sitting in the dead state, makes me nervous.  Im just going to have to get in the mood and pitch a tent at the jewelers.  I'd say lol but its not funny.  Costly!!!!  Thats the downside to owning many watches.  I dont think I could be tempted again for another one, I just love what I have.  

It's good to find there are other watch lovers out there.  I wear a watch everyday, whether I ever look at it or not, is another thing.  I admire the MOP dials (Mother of Pearl) and I guess they are just jewelry to me.  But when wanting to see what time it is, its faster looking at the wrist than digging out the phone.  

Ok Lavender...where are you?

Trusted Contributor

Hi Blue Karner.

Welcome, we would all clap for Joy if that statement would really save the battery.  My jeweler never recommended it. She loves unique watches too.  It's a costly love. Smiley Happy