Honored Contributor

Re: The price of gold jewelry....

[ Edited ]

A good portion of my 18K came from ShopNBC.  Didn't know about it when it was Valuvision. Before that I got directly from Italy and a few jewelry store estate sections.  My mother would fly over to Italy to stay with family every year.  Each time she went I gave her money to buy gold jewelry.  Per shopNBC, each time I saw it, 14K, 18K to the hilt.  Almost everyday.  I don't remember them selling anything else! I would turn it off when they didn't have 18k on. If they sold anything else, I wasn't aware of it!

Per my gold.  My husband won't let me wear my 18K everyday.  He's so afraid I'll get mugged or worse.  To make him happy, when I travel I go without any jewelry.  Including my wedding rings.  Even when I go  out to dinner.  I wear my smallest pieces or my Ultrafine silver

Honored Contributor

bummer.   Back when I had somebody to go out to dinner with I'd put on the glitz. No sense in having if you can't wear.

I live in a smaller city though not places you see on Tv

Respected Contributor

I still wear my smaller, understated pieces when I'm out and about.  Haven't added to my collection in years.  I do still have a Wish List.

Esteemed Contributor

Right now gold is hovering around $2000 an ounce and is predicted to go much higher and I have bought lots of heavy gold pieces (14-22k gold) over last 55 years and except for wedding ring, I only wear S.S.  Last month we had to unexpectedly replace our travel trail or  ( we use it as our beach home and the last one developed many expensive leaks not worth fixing). We now have 6 years of $500 payments so I'll start selling soon to pay it off much sooner.

Respected Contributor

@cody2   Like you, I have quite a lot of gold jewelry that I bought back in the 90's and early 2000's. The prices were great

and the pieces were well made.

My friend and I talk about how lucky we were to be able to buy and build our collections when we got great quality for a fair price. I no longer buy gold. Prices are high for lightweight and

less substantial pieces.

When the price of gold went up several years ago, twice I sold some pieces and that helped to pay for two of my Bermuda trips. There are reputable people who you could sell

gold to. Sometimes local jewelers will give you a fair price for gold. You can call to see what they offer.

I still have a lot and now that I'm retired, don't wear as much.

I have given some pieces to my daughters and grand daughters.

For Mother's Day, I'm giving my four girls each, one of my rings.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle   Shop NBC did have the best gold prices. I bought

several 14k and 18k pieces from them. I could not afford to buy

those same pieces now at today's prices.

Honored Contributor

2023.00 an oz today.

Honored Contributor

Yikes ! went up again 2050

Respected Contributor

I am glad also that I purchased years ago at relatively cheap prices.  This includes my Ripka and Bixby jewelry also.