Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@FLgardener wrote:

@BirkiLady , Yes, that's true. I did a lot of diamond grading homework. What I learned is that a two carat stone with

color in the yellow range and near flawless is pretty desirable. That said, I don't think I was cheated.

That color range would be J-K is that right @FLgardener?  I know H I is near colorless so I'm thinking J, K, or even higher.  What determines the worth in this instance is the size (I think and clarity).  Color probably doesn't matter as much.

Get hold of a Rapaport Sheet. Known in the industry for current spot prices of diamonds. It is also worth certifying a diamond that is large. A 2 ct diamond if K color with a VVS1 clarity, excellent cut is worth far more than $3000.00.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@CatsyCline 

Most antique stores are awash with silver plate and cannot give the stuff away.  At least in my area.  Perhaps other markets are different.  Not many people use it any more.

I had many serving pieces...chaffing dishes, platters, coffee sets.  Eventually, I just gave it all away except a pair of oranate candelabras.  I've never used them, so they may be headed out the door soon.

Do some online research if you think your silver items have real value because of age.  Or check with your local antique shops.

In the end, I'm more interested in just rehoming things.  I already know my stuff isn't priceless since I bought it Cat LOL

@Witchy Woman  Did I say silverplate? these pieces are  solid silver  .

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline 

Not sure.  I may have just read it is silver plate.

If you have solid silver, they should be worth quite a bit.

Maybe you could have the pieces appraised to get an idea of the value.

Such things are rare anymore, so, before I sold them or gave them away, I'd want to know their worth.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@FLgardener wrote:

@BirkiLady , Yes, that's true. I did a lot of diamond grading homework. What I learned is that a two carat stone with

color in the yellow range and near flawless is pretty desirable. That said, I don't think I was cheated.

That color range would be J-K is that right @FLgardener?  I know H I is near colorless so I'm thinking J, K, or even higher.  What determines the worth in this instance is the size (I think and clarity).  Color probably doesn't matter as much.

Get hold of a Rapaport Sheet. Known in the industry for current spot prices of diamonds. It is also worth certifying a diamond that is large. A 2 ct diamond if K color with a VVS1 clarity, excellent cut is worth far more than $3000.00.

Thanks @Trinity11 .  Excellent information you shared.  I'm not a dealer or anything.  Obtaining the RAP sheet isn't necessary for me but it's good for others to know it is available.  It's something used in the trade and if you're not in the trade you probably shouldn't bother.  You can't view them for free.

I just go by the 4 C's of diamonds.  Of course, the large the stone the more it costs exponentially.  However, color and clarity is just as important. For my own purposes if I were buying still, I stick with G-H-I and SI1 in clarity.  I won't go past I in color and I won't do lower clarity than SI1.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@FLgardener wrote:

Thanks @Trinity11 .  Excellent information you shared.  I'm not a dealer or anything.  Obtaining the RAP sheet isn't necessary for me but it's good for others to know it is available.  It's something used in the trade and if you're not in the trade you probably shouldn't bother.  You can't view them for free.

I just go by the 4 C's of diamonds.  Of course, the large the stone the more it costs exponentially.  However, color and clarity is just as important. For my own purposes if I were buying still, I stick with G-H-I and SI1 in clarity.  I won't go past I in color and I won't do lower clarity than SI1.

Many jewelers if you push are willing to share Rap reports. You can negotiate prices that way @gertrudecloset . I worked in the industry. I have my GIA. I was pretty surprised to learn recently that my previous employer Tiffany's is now using SI diamonds J color in some of their jewelry...not the designers but a pair of diamond hoop earrings that are $7100.00 with 1.10 of diamonds. When I worked for them they prided themselves on VS, G, H, I color and nothing less. It seems nothing stays the same in retail...

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@FLgardener wrote:

Many jewelers if you push are willing to share Rap reports. You can negotiate prices that way @gertrudecloset . I worked in the industry. I have my GIA. I was pretty surprised to learn recently that my previous employer Tiffany's is now using SI diamonds J color in some of their jewelry...not the designers but a pair of diamond hoop earrings that are $7100.00 with 1.10 of diamonds. When I worked for them they prided themselves on VS, G, H, I color and nothing less. It seems nothing stays the same in retail...

Thanks for the education @Trinity11 .  I so appreciate it.  Graduate Gemogologist!  Didn't you have to do additional study for diamond grading and such (aside from colored stones)?  I'm asking because I wanted to do this!  I thought of studying in California with the GIA.  Couldn't afford the tuition!  I think pearls is in addition too if you want to specialize in that material.  I'm a gemstone fanatic!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@FLgardener wrote:

Thanks for the education @Trinity11 .  I so appreciate it.  Graduate Gemogologist!  Didn't you have to do additional study for diamond grading and such (aside from colored stones)?  I'm asking because I wanted to do this!  I thought of studying in California with the GIA.  Couldn't afford the tuition!  I think pearls is in addition too if you want to specialize in that material.  I'm a gemstone fanatic!!!!!

@gertrudecloset , I studied back in the 80's on the New York campus. It was fully paid for by my employer. I also did go to California for colored stones certification but I haven't worked in the business in many years. I still know people, though, who work in the industry. I love going back to Tiffany's as they still employ people I used to know. The business model has changed so much, though. Back when I was there, heat treated colored stones were not as prevalent as today. Although, I remember my dismay when I found out tanzanites were brownish before heat changed their color...

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@FLgardener wrote:

@gertrudecloset , I studied back in the 80's on the New York campus. It was fully paid for by my employer. I also did go to California for colored stones certification but I haven't worked in the business in many years. I still know people, though, who work in the industry. I love going back to Tiffany's as they still employ people I used to know. The business model has changed so much, though. Back when I was there, heat treated colored stones were not as prevalent as today. Although, I remember my dismay when I found out tanzanites were brownish before heat changed their color...

@Trinity11I couldn't afford it when I was looking.  It was about $35,000 for the entire study of about a year or so.  No pay as you go either, LOL.

Glad to know you are here if I have gem questions.  I'll bet that the business model has changed.  Heat treating flux and glass filling of sapphires have caused me not have my own birthstone.  Emeralds looking like junk from a cracker jack box.  Plus we had rifts with other governments over their gems (particularly ruby) making it bad for business here.  Even though trade has opened back up for Burmese rubies, some how I don't trust the sale of rubies unless they were GIA Certified.  Now I know you know how much a good ruby of signficant size would cost.  I will never own.

Thank you for indulging me Ms. Trinity11!