Esteemed Contributor

Re: Selling Gol

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline 

Most antique stores are awash with silver plate and cannot give the stuff away.  At least in my area.  Perhaps other markets are different.  Not many people use it any more.

I had many serving pieces...chaffing dishes, platters, coffee sets.  Eventually, I just gave it all away except a pair of oranate candelabras.  I've never used them, so they may be headed out the door soon.

Do some online research if you think your silver items have real value because of age.  Or check with your local antique shops.

In the end, I'm more interested in just rehoming things.  I already know my stuff isn't priceless since I bought it Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Ross Simmons  website  will take old jewelry

@skatting44 Have you ever sold to to them?  I need to get rid of some things as well.  How much percent of scrap value do they pay?

Respected Contributor

Gold keeps going up, unless you really need the money, I would hold onto it.  I also found taking it to various local places is the key to get more for your money.

I also wouldn't take too much in at one time, I had an entire grouping of silver and gold and what happened to me was unbelievable.  I was only taking out a "little bit" for it to be handled one by one, what she said was let's see it all.  Stupid me, I took it all out and lost track of what was all there.  My mistake and I will never forget it.  Pieces disappeared.due to various distractions.  OK they had a camera, one camera and the desk wasn't in plain site of the camera so you really couldn't see anything.  I hope someone can benefit from my mistake, never again.I questioned what happened to those pieces, she said "i didn't see those".  

There is not a market for silver plate, only real silver.  My sister took my mom's cased silverware set and that was valued at $8000 so solid sterling sells well, silver plate does not.

Esteemed Contributor

I have sold to US Gold a few times, and as recently as last year.  Each time I was very satisfied with the amount they offered to me.  I have a few more pieces left that I'm planning to sell to them. 

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady , Yes, that's true. I did a lot of diamond grading homework. What I learned is that a two carat stone with

color in the yellow range and near flawless is pretty desirable. That said, I don't think I was cheated.

Honored Contributor

If you are selling name brand fine jewelry or fine jewelry that you think is worth more than scrap gold, TheRealReal and Truefacet are two websites that are reputable and pay top dollar. Known in the industry and very good to sell GIA certified diamonds. 

Honored Contributor

isn't ReaReal the place that sells high end clothes to people who can't afford Gucci, celebrity bought clothes ?

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

isn't ReaReal the place that sells high end clothes to people who can't afford Gucci, celebrity bought clothes ?

@SharkE, they sell a variety of merchandise but I only have familiarity with the Fine Jewelry. I do know, though, from friends that have sold jewelry to them that they were quite satisfied with the pay out. True Facet was another company that sells jewelry where the seller gets a lot more than if they just go to a scrap gold place.

Honored Contributor

I was satisfied with the gold end of it at US Gold, but, didn't know anybody bought diamonds have to check out that Truefacet place. Don't have anything to pawn now, but, never know.

Esteemed Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

@BirkiLady , Yes, that's true. I did a lot of diamond grading homework. What I learned is that a two carat stone with

color in the yellow range and near flawless is pretty desirable. That said, I don't think I was cheated.

That color range would be J-K is that right @FLgardener?  I know H I is near colorless so I'm thinking J, K, or even higher.  What determines the worth in this instance is the size (I think and clarity).  Color probably doesn't matter as much.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life