Valued Contributor

Re: Peter Thomas Roth Jewelry

Why is his jewelry tarnished when I receive it?  And even as I have it stored in his packaging, not worn yet, it's very tarnished.   I don't have that issue with anyone else's  jewelry. 

What is the problem?

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowhite714 wrote:

Why is his jewelry tarnished when I receive it?  And even as I have it stored in his packaging, not worn yet, it's very tarnished.   I don't have that issue with anyone else's  jewelry. 

What is the problem?

@Snowhite714- I had the tarnished earrings and sent them back.  The only thing I can think of is that they are old or stored in something else and repackaged.  I expect new purchases to be "new" and the earrings were nice and the tarnish easily removed I guess.  But, I have expectations re quality control and pristine condition of new items.  

Honored Contributor

From a fellow jewelry designer: the "darkness/dullness" you are all seeing is called OXIDATION. It is a process added to silver jewelry to darken some areas to bring out the highs and lows of the design. Many of Barbara Bixby's pieces are highly oxidized as well as most of AMERICAN WEST jewelry. It is a chemical process involving Liver of Sulfer and heat applied to finished piece. Some designers choose to use more oxidation than others and it becomes their trademark. Look at JH and DY jewelry. All are oxidized to emphasize the cable indentions of DY cuffs for example. You may prefer the look of shiny silver...ie: Robert Lee Morris. There are many designs for many tastes.

Valued Contributor

Shanus~~I have been collecting silver  jewelry for years.  I am familiar with "oxidation".  However, my ring from him, after several months in my silver safe-keeper was covered with a white powdery film and severely oxidized.  I have never had silver get that powdery film over it EVER.  There is something different about the content of the silver he is using.  This is not a normal oxidation problem.  Those who have been having trouble with his silver, it is NOT their imagination.  Something IS different with his silver.  I would not buy another item from him.