Honored Contributor

@Shanus Stunning!  What is the longest time you've ever spent working on a piece of jewelry?

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@MickD wrote:

@Shanus Stunning!  What is the longest time you've ever spent working on a piece of jewelry?

There's a triangular shaped enameled pin (posted in another group of pics). Enamels take forever w/ each color fired separately, cooled and another applied (they're in powder form) packed in carefully not to disturb the neighboring color. That pin took me 4 days working 6 hrs. each day just to shape the fine silver (sterling doesn't work). I did the shape first in copper to make sure the powder wouldn't slide off. After it was completed in silver, enameled in all colors and fired several times and then a final 2 firings with a clear enamel to seal it. So far we're at about 7 days and 6 hrs. each. The last week is spent "stoning" the piece. There are special files used to polish the piece under running water.....So approximately 2 wks. of back breaking work in front of a very hot kiln and then leaning over a sink for finishing. I'll add that at any time from the 1st enamel color is placed on the silver, fired, cooled in the kiln and then removed, it is then glass. The chances of it breaking or burning increase w/ each firing. Needless to say, although I love the outcome, it's time consuming and never sells for 1/2 of what it should be. The pin in the pic was so complicated to construct, I kept it for myself. Whoa! Long answer. Sorry. 😩