Super Contributor

Re: Just got back from Santa Fe, New Mexico

@sunshine 919 wrote:

Your bracelet is lovely.  About the bags I believe this started in Calif.  People pay for bags or you can bring your own reusable bags.  I have very nice reusable bags but I forget to take them lol.  Anyway where I live you can still get your items bagged.  I do like my bags when I remember to take them.

Charging for bags started in San Francisco and now we have the same thing in DC.  It's 5 cents for a bag and the money goes to a local environmental project.  Believe it or not, it really trains you to shop with a reusable tote bag.  It's a win/win to reduce waste.

I love Santa Fe and your bracelet is beautiful!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Your jewelry hawker sounds like he was trained on the docks the cruise ships use in the Caribbean and elsewhere.  All the ones I saw appeared to be mid-Eastern.

I especially love the "slinky" bracelet.  It's very versitile, and I bet you'll wear it a lot.

yeah, that's what hubbo said , but, I'm not savvy enough and don't want to not be politically correct these days. I could had said Iranian, but, somebody would had accused me of something or the other. All I know is he made it possible for me to get a beautiful sleeping bty piece. I left the first time and looked around places and went to the area where the folks had their pallets out with their wares, but, it wasn't my type of stuff, so, I went back to the upscale place and bought with him.

Had another shop down there that I went in called 'Ortega's' it was swank too. Everything under lock and key, but, I kept thinking of the clear turquoise cuff couldn't get it out of my head. Hard to find spotless sleeping bty. I got Larimar cuff too. Kind of similar.

I since been on the internet and I need to educate myself . The terms 

"Southwestern" and "Native American" made are different.

Yep, the 'slinky' is a biggie . Easy to put on and off and clean. Now, that other one is gonna be a bear to clean. Just cloths I guess.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

That's a lot of sleeping beauty and silver.  Is sleeping beauty plentiful there?

I just saw it at this man's establishments. He had maybe 4-5 pieces. He had a sleeping bty. cuff wider then the one I bought (700) made just the same , just wider and more pieces of turquoise. I had to settle (LOL) I paid for one and hubbo paid for the other. I also bought a hammered bead bracelet.

I'm sad because I dropped my camera and the pics I took of the cherry trees in bloom didn't take and the pics I took from my hotel room of the mountains for some reason didn't take after I had dropped the camera, but, when I got home I took pics and uploaded them of the cuffs. What happened to my pics I took before I dropped the camera? Just got one of me at the Outlet Mall across from the motel we stayed at.

Honored Contributor

Grabbed this as I was leaving town. My last hurrah to the Plaza.

DSC00182.JPG

I can't find my rhodonite Carolyn Pollack ring ! It was marked down to 20 so no big loss, but, I'd like to find it. Don't know where it went to.

Esteemed Contributor

Many of the jewelry shops in S.F. are owned by Middle Easterners (they are very good shopkeepers and it is fun to bargain with them and they are very knowledgeable).  The row of NA dealers on the Plaza are the "real deal" but you can get better prices on NA merchandise elsewhere.  One of my best buys was a Nelson Morgan kachina pendant that I got during Indian Market at one of the booths by the church.  Later on I wore it into one of the Middle Eastern owned shops and learned what I had (and saw pricier--but not nicer--examples of his work). Btw all the shops market up artists work by hundreds of percent, so if you buy from most shops (unless they are fixed price)there should be lots of wiggle room.

Honored Contributor

I never heard that much about Indian types of jewelry till I moved to Tx. not to much in my Amarillo area. I think Alburq. probably had better prices. I just like to buy what I like and not worry about if it's Native American or just called Southwest. Never heard of Carlos Eagle till I researched him and he's not giving nothing away. LOL   The shop owner did tell me a little about him think he's 82 and makes the cuff to where you don't have to worry about them popping stones. They're stiff metal, but, you can adjust.

Seems to create good quality items. So hard any more to know what your buying, whom you can trust, etc.

Sleeping bty. is just so pretty and clear and lighter turquoise why I like it so much.

Frequent Contributor

love it!

Honored Contributor

@SharkE

I love it when you go to Sante Fe to buy jewelry.  You did a great job again this year :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@SharkE

The local movie theatre near me got it's liquor license.  I thought the same thing, great, all I need is an obnoxious drunk at the show :-(

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

We're going down the sewer, hun. It's all about the dollar. After horrors are over they stand and shake their heads on what went wrong, etc. 

Clueless. 

Not only are the passengers drunk on planes, but, lot of the time the pilots are snookered or drugged.