Trusted Contributor

I stopped wearing a watch for several years because the batteries were always dying and it was too much trouble. Also, I was spending so much of my time in front of a computer or in the car, where the time was always right in front of me.

I started wearing watches again a few years ago when I discovered ShopNBC. I wear watches more like jewelry now. But I like a well made watch that will be durable and keep good time. The ladies on the Watch Collectors thread in this forum put me on to ceramic watches and I have a nice collection of those. Automatic movements are great because you never have to change a battery.

Respected Contributor

Kachina:  love your TechnoMarine ceramic/SS/diamond watch.   It's a true beauty.

Respected Contributor

Re: Evine and Invicta

[ Edited ]

It may be different in a large city. I see people of all ages wearing watches--even millenials. Since they are really into their smartphones, the watch is more like an accessory.

They haven't gone away. People are wearing them for different reasons--if they choose to wear them at all. I see them in all shapes and sizes. NYC is very time-conscious and very fashion- conscious. Then there are a lot of people sporting Rolexes, Omegas, Tags, Cartier.

Paula Deen and Once World aside, watches still constitute a large portion of evine's revenue. If Invicta didn't sell in such high volumes, they wouldn't be on. That's how it is with the Q, HSN and other TV shopping networks. What Invicta has managed to do is convince people to buy multiples of watches. They're not the first to use this strategy. Mostly men buy the $$$ watches from Invicta. They don't put them out there for women. For the most part, they are good quaity for the money or Invicta wouldn't be in business. They have actually grown and purchased other companies.

As long as they sell invicta in large numbers, evine will still air them. April is going to be Watch Discovery Month. That translates into more watch presentations on evine.

Frequent Contributor

I have a teenage son and he loves watches! He has several Invictas as well as larger Seikos. For him it's a fashion statement just like his fancy gym shoes, Air Jordan's, etc.  he works to make money and he spends it on what he enjoys. Some of these watches really do look like Rolexes and he loves the compliments. I guess just like some women enjoy having multiple handbags or designer shoes, etc, this is what guys get to do - like we women have our jewelry. And yes he is permanently attached to his cell phone but he and I both love the look of a classic watch. It has an older classier style IMO. One of his Invictas has a gorgeous abalone shell face then I found for him on Evine and he's gotten lots of compliments on it even from jewelry salespeople in  jewelry stores. I think it's kind of cool and I'm glad he enjoys it.

It's funny – he and my husband will pause movies like James Bond and check out the watches the stars are wearing! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I totally don't get the Invicta overload... These are bulkiest, clunkiest things I've ever seen.  They can't be selling a lot of these...   I once seriously searched for an Invicta model for myself  that was more my size and there were none- zero.

I wear my Citizen Eco-Drive solar watch and love it.  It is lightweight, runs great, and never have to replace battery. Watch Perfection to me. 

I never notice or care about other people's watches. Status to me not about what is worn.

Trusted Contributor

KachinaI love that watch and in fact I also own it.  I just know that I do.  It's so pretty.  The picture doesn't do it justice.  I love those Diamond TechnoMarines.  I think the younger people don't wear watches, they get by with the cell phones.  We older gals, love the watches because they have become jewelry.  Also we don't want to take the time to dig out a phone when a flick of the wrist tells us all we want to know and besides we can admire our jewelry piece that also tells the time.  My DH won't wear today's watches because they are jewelry to him, and that's why I love them.  They are all so unique, so many colors, but my few watches have grown into a overload.  Yes. I'm trying to shed this addiction.   I can't own them all.  I will only get excited now with the automatics, for they don't need batteries and it does get ridicoulous to having to replace dead batteries all the time.  Of course, if I only owned 2, then it would be no problem.  But I don't know anyone that owns only 2 on the Watch Collectors thread.  Smiley Wink

Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Respected Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

I totally don't get the Invicta overload... These are bulkiest, clunkiest things I've ever seen.  They can't be selling a lot of these...   I once seriously searched for an Invicta model for myself  that was more my size and there were none- zero.

I wear my Citizen Eco-Drive solar watch and love it.  It is lightweight, runs great, and never have to replace battery. Watch Perfection to me. 

I never notice or care about other people's watches. Status to me not about what is worn.

I just bought a Citizen Eco-Drive also and I love it. The face is fairly large but the watch is lightweight. That being said Evine usually has some Invictas in the 24-30mm range. I have quite a few Invictas but I don't like to go over 34mm. I think they sell quite a lot of them.

Honored Contributor

When I was a kid, a watch had one purpose ... to tell time.  It was functional with a few variations ... expansion band, leather or cloth strap.  Or those dinky "dress" watches with microscopic numbers.   You get the idea.

At some point, watches became more of a fashion statement with more variables.  A bracelet that happened to also tell time.

If I had to guess ..... I think the turning point was around when Jacqueline Kennedy had a Cartier Tank Watch specially made for her (that was very similar to JFK's watch) shortly after his death.    A magazine photo caused enormous interest ....  and women around the world wanted that watch.   Cartier had a three year waiting list for their Tank Watch!

Related image

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ONEQGIRLjunkie  Do you remember what we paid for those TechnoMarines?  I was looking at some with diamonds online the other day and couldn't believe the prices.  I love that watch.  I think you and Jena got the white and maybe the black too?   Did we get them at Wow? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

As much as people hate tthis, there may be more of an emphasis on watches in the future. You're thinking  "Oh, no! Less Skinn, One World and Madii Clare."

Here's the thing: evine has acquired Princeton Watches. They were an Ohio-based business which has offered "grey market" and closeout watches--much like Wow (SWI did.) This would make sense, because evine probably relied heavily on now-defunct SWI (owner of Wow.) for watch brands outside of Invicta. They sell a lot of watches online. I wondered why they were getting some very top-shelf brands and know I know that they probably come from princeton watches. They might use some of the product from princeton watches and it would make sense if they promoted that on evine.