Frequent Contributor

Re: David Markstein on Cali Gold Rush

Really, people? David just doing his job. I like hearing about the products he gets to choose from to bring to the Q. It's really because of him that Q is still in the gold business especially when gold hit its peak. He knows far more about the products than the hosts do.

Super Contributor

I don't mind him. He's certainly far less objectionable than the giggling social media co-hosts that they have on most days.
Respected Contributor

I'm ok with him working with the hosts. I always think it's interesting when they tell what goes on during their buying trips. I think it would be fun to go along and watch them make their offers and counter-offers. I watch my husband do this when we go car-shopping. Not that interested in cars but if it were jewelry, now that would be another story! Wink

-Kalli

Super Contributor

Mary Beth was on this morning and I ordered the reversible omega. I've got my fingers crossed that I""ll like it. I haven't bought gold jewelry in years.
Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2014 skuggles said:

Disappointed that it is not MBR. Are the stars out tonight or something? Wink (lips made to appear larger with liner too obvious)

I tried to watch bits and pieces today. Saw David make a statement that turquoise was NEVER done in gold twenty years ago. I seem to remember some pieces in gold back then. Does anyone else? Or was it just another lie to sell that turquoise ring? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Heavens yes they had turquoise set in gold even 50 or more years ago, just not at QVC
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I've heard David, not today but other gold rushes, mention gram weight on some items where the online description did not list them. That solidified that QVC does know the gram weights but for some reason picks and chooses which ones to post online for all to see.

Super Contributor

Doesn't look like David is going to make an appearance in the finale show with Lisa. She can sell well enough on her own David isn't needed with her. Think assumption is true; Lisa sells more compared to the others. Hence her hosting the finale hours instead of Mary Beth.

Super Contributor

On 1/24/2014 Tique said:

Mary Beth got bumped a while ago. She may have done the closing for one of the shows last year but Lisa has been closing most of the time for a few years.

Yes, it's been a while since MBR closed. I seem to recall Jill B closing a couple of times.

I think MBR has other priorities.

Honored Contributor

I've never felt the buyer added anything to the viewing/shopping experience either, though I do sometimes enjoy their gemstone buyer, and certainly more than David M. I don't know why they think he enhances the shows, but they appear to be using 'house' staff more and more to help move the goods. I guess this, along with the cyber hosts, (an annoyance), are the Q's new world order.

As for MB, I think she still closes some of the big gold shows but I'm not sure she was 'bumped' as much as she chose to scale down her time on-air, particularly minimizing night work. It's clear Lisa is their numero uno, and I'd guess she's earned it, but it seems to me MB's limited presence is probably not hurting her feelings...

As for the event, there was a lot of repetition, but I was more pleasantly surprised by the variety than I thought I'd be. I think they still have a ways to go to match their selves of old, but it was better than it has been...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

On 1/24/2014 ennui1 said:
On 1/24/2014 Tique said:

Mary Beth got bumped a while ago. She may have done the closing for one of the shows last year but Lisa has been closing most of the time for a few years.

Yes, it's been a while since MBR closed. I seem to recall Jill B closing a couple of times.

I think MBR has other priorities.

Mary Beth has done the finale of every California Gold Rush and Klondike Gold Rush since CGR 2006 when she was ill and Lisa R hosted the finale. The last time before that that she missed the finale of one of the 24 gold events was when she was on maternity leave for CGR 2000 when Kathy Levine hosted the finale. Until now she's only missed those two in the past 15 years or more.

Jill Bauer took over for Mary Beth in hosting the Big Bonanza Silver Day and Creede Silver Strike finales for the last 4 years, never gold event finales.

Some of the scheduling differences today are from Jane hosting in the evening on 1/23: Mary Beth may have been on earlier so Jane wouldn't have to get up earlier for her usual 9 am time slot after being on late the night before.