Honored Contributor

Re: David Markstein on Cali Gold Rush

That man just got back from Italy (I think that's what they said) and he's been on TV mostly on for almost the entire day! It's amazing! I don't know how he does it!

It's like he's the entire rep of QVC/Gold! Good grief! I hope the man is at home in bed by now!

Respected Contributor

On 1/24/2014 skuggles said:

Disappointed that it is not MBR. Are the stars out tonight or something? (lips made to appear larger with liner too obvious)

I tried to watch bits and pieces today. Saw David make a statement that turquoise was NEVER done in gold twenty years ago. I seem to remember some pieces in gold back then. Does anyone else? Or was it just another lie to sell that turquoise ring?

King Tut used turquoise in his gold jewelry!!!

Super Contributor

On 1/24/2014 DenimandCo said:
On 1/24/2014 ennui1 said:
On 1/24/2014 Tique said:

Mary Beth got bumped a while ago. She may have done the closing for one of the shows last year but Lisa has been closing most of the time for a few years.

Yes, it's been a while since MBR closed. I seem to recall Jill B closing a couple of times.

I think MBR has other priorities.

Mary Beth has done the finale of every California Gold Rush and Klondike Gold Rush since CGR 2006 when she was ill and Lisa R hosted the finale. The last time before that that she missed the finale of one of the 24 gold events was when she was on maternity leave for CGR 2000 when Kathy Levine hosted the finale. Until now she's only missed those two in the past 15 years or more.

Jill Bauer took over for Mary Beth in hosting the Big Bonanza Silver Day and Creede Silver Strike finales for the last 4 years, never gold event finales.

Some of the scheduling differences today are from Jane hosting in the evening on 1/23: Mary Beth may have been on earlier so Jane wouldn't have to get up earlier for her usual 9 am time slot after being on late the night before.

Thank you DenimandCo for confirming what I had thought I had heard correctly when Mary Beth mentioned this very thing last year. You are exactly correct with this information.

Regular Contributor

I LOVE David!!..I look forward to seeing him on every gold show. He knows all the details on the pieces and I believe he is trying to please the QVC gold buyer.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Super Contributor

I don't know that much about him but he seemed fine today -loved hearing his stories about the gold - felt sorry for him as he just got in from Italy and hadn't even slept yet - like H6C said - he seemed sincere about trying to please us!! It was a great show I thought!

I bought the OTO Omega - if I don't like it it will be easy enough to send back!

Regular Contributor

David doesn't add anything to the presentation, just like Gary on the Denim and Company shows. The hosts for years could present Gold and Denim and Company without either of them.

Another then the year Mary Beth was sick.This year is the first year that I can recall of seeing Lisa hosting the final California Gold Rush also. She might kick off the event, but from looking at her fb page in 2011, 2012, 2013 she was on from 6-9pm.

Honored Contributor

In actuality we don't need any of the vendors or their reps - we don't need David, or Joan, or Lori, or Louis, or Judith or..... go ahead and name them all. We don't even need QVC on the air. We could just have a website.

But that's not the business plan we're dealing with - so just as in real life (as if this isn't) when I like listening to the host or vendor who's presenting, I tune in if I'm interested. When I don't, I do something else. I doubt we all will ever prefer exactly the same hosts , vendors, types of products, etc.

BTW- I liked the parts of Gold Rush Day that I saw. Lots of beautiful products, good hosts and I do like David's low-key knowledge/presentation about what is happening in the gold world. To have a job as head buyer of one of the largest goldbuying companies in the world is no small accomplishment - and I, even if I'm totally alone on this, am happy not to see David going for the "Bam!"-type of showmanship. That sells me nothing.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/24/2014 ennui1 said:
On 1/24/2014 Tique said:

Mary Beth got bumped a while ago. She may have done the closing for one of the shows last year but Lisa has been closing most of the time for a few years.

Yes, it's been a while since MBR closed. I seem to recall Jill B closing a couple of times.

I think MBR has other priorities.

I thought this was the first time MB did not have the last few hours. She has always done them as she was the "gold" host.

Regular Contributor

I always want to hear from those on the front lines unless they are insufferable and David is a very pleasant person and I appreciate that he shares his thoughts with us. I mainly watch presentations when I can learn more about the current state of gemstones, gold, etc - so I always enjoy Peyton, David, Jay King and the 3 amigos on HQ. Otherwise I just check online for sales. Several years ago I watched Dawn on JTV and she was really ahead of the curve on what was happening but haven't watched her for a few years. And I love the Gem Trader on the Travel channel for what's happening in various countries. All the above make me appreciate my purchases all the more.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/24/2014 MarthaStewardess said:

I agree that he really adds nothing to the show. What he says can be done by any of the hosts. I saw him on with Rick earlier and he seemed to have a hard time getting a word in with Rick (can't stand his selling style). Personally, I don't enjoy having more than one host on or a host with a vendor or guest for every item sold.

I agree. I also noticed that Rick kept interrupting David when he spoke.