Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

If you can sell them and make a buck sell them now.

As many have said these type of collector items are not sought after by younger generations.  

They prefer toss and go as they move for school and careers.

We had elder family members pass away with large collections of Hummels, Waterford, and Lladro.  We had to beg family members to take JUST ONE home as a keepsake.

Auction houses said, "no thank you."

I love all these collectibles -- and people should give them to friends/family who will enjoy them --- rather than give them away. 

Esteemed Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

Boy you guys are right about not much being collectible these days. I have boxed up so much stuff I used to collect (depression glass) and gave it away to a thrift store. Other things too. I'm also changing my furniture style from the mahogany antique style to the lighter coastal, beach style that is so light and modern. No one wants any of this furniture. Habitat took a few end tables but they don't want most of it. So, we tossed a 1930's mahogany twin bed frame with the side rails on the dump.  It has a mate and that's going to go as well. Next is my duncan phyfe dining room table. I hate it now and we turned that room into an office. No use for it anymore.

I can't imagine tossing out good furniture. There's a site called nextdoor dot com -- and several other sites - where people want and need various things. Best to post it - there are also many poor people out there who would love these items.

Trusted Contributor
Remember back in mid 90’s when Q had all the collectible doll and bear shows? The Gary and MaryBeth show was a hoot! Well I’ve collected artist bears and antique bears for years. Most of my artist bears have been rehomed on eBay, but I still have several, and I do still have my more valuable antique bears and dolls. Sad that collectibles have lost their value. People are completely immersed in technology and entertainment these days, no time for sentimental treasures.
Honored Contributor

I'm not into collectibles at all.  My mother has a small collection of Hummels. I'm hoping when that day comes my brother and his wife would like them because I don't want another box of stuff in my cellar.

When I had my first baby I was gifted with a couple of Precious Moments (which I didn't really want), and people assumed I collected them and I got more.  Ugh.  By the time I had the third baby I was also gifted with Snow Babies, and again people thought I collected them and got more.  I hope all those figurines are comfortable in their boxes in the cellar.

Trusted Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I'm not into collectibles at all.  My mother has a small collection of Hummels. I'm hoping when that day comes my brother and his wife would like them because I don't want another box of stuff in my cellar.

When I had my first baby I was gifted with a couple of Precious Moments (which I didn't really want), and people assumed I collected them and I got more.  Ugh.  By the time I had the third baby I was also gifted with Snow Babies, and again people thought I collected them and got more.  I hope all those figurines are comfortable in their boxes in the cellar.

My DIL was a Precious Moments collector some 25 years ago. She's 49 now, no longer buys them, but her china cabinet is still full of them. She was from a small town in southern Ohio where those used-to-be-collectible Longaberger baskets were made. Everyone in her town collected Longaberger, Ohio pottery, that type stuff. Now she's a big city girl with a big city job and a big city life, and those "country" collectibles no longer really interest her. Wonder what her daughter will do with them one day. 
P.S.   I still have my small Lladro collection, most pieces purchased by my mom on overseas trips, displayed in a small curio. My kids can throw them away when I'm pushing up daisies. 

Trusted Contributor

From what I read from an antiques website don't sell your Hummels on Ebay.  Instead sell them on RubyLane.  Hope this helps you.

Respected Contributor

My DGD pointed to my hummels today and j carefully let her touch and see.  It did my heart good to See her point a d smile.  Valuable in my eyes.  I never tire at seeing the faces painted so meticulously.  

Trusted Contributor

My mother was an avid collector. As a result I am now tasked with getting rid of her 80 piece Hummel collection and let me tell you: no one wants these. No. One. I just want to get rid of the lot, not piece by piece. Big ones, small ones, some rarer than others. I've made an inventory list. No. One.

Also have over 200 plates (only 1 Hummel plate) - high quality back in the day (not Franklin Mint/Bradford Exchange stuff). No. One. Considering target practice - just joking, I think.

I managed to sell 74 Limoges miniatures. That was a bright spot!

Have sold a few Lladros but have 6 left.

I haven't even tackled the Waterford crystal yet.

I did keep the Hummel nativity set Mom bought for me when I was young. That's a pretty decoration at Christmas but that's enough Hummels for me.

Children of collectors are left with this stuff as a burden, not a gift. But when Mom was in the throes of collecting she didn't think about the future. She got immense joy from her collections. Dad was mad at the money spent. Now I'm left with it all and it's a PITA.

Esteemed Contributor

We had some of the Bradford Exchange collector plates.  I ended up donating them to the Salvation Army.  Quick and easy.  

Respected Contributor

My mom had a big collection of the Hummel’s bells.  I know the first one was very expensive.  When she passed, I took two Hummel’s - - an angel looking down at a baby in a manger, and a small farm girl with chicks.  (My mom was a farmers dsughter). Both sentimental to me.   My sister in law took the bells.  EBay, some offered $2, my dad said I’ll give them away first.  

Young people collect NOTHING and collections are sadly a thing of the past.  I “collected” 8 Bradford exchange Barbie plates about 40 years ago. Still in a box 40 years later. Probably worth $5 each if that.