Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wood Paneled Library

[ Edited ]

I don't quite understand what makes this room a "library". Five shelves of books do not make a library for me, although maybe there are more shelves not in view. It just seems like an odd room to me with the placement of furniture, the paneled walls and that giant table lamp.

Honored Contributor

I like the room just fine, but not so much the fabrics. They're very feminine fabrics and I tend to think of libraries as being more masculine. (In as much as rooms are either masculine or feminine.) The clock on the mantel is very masculine, but that's about all. When I think of a library I think of leather upholstery, more subdued colors, and patterns. Create a restful, quiet atmosphere. The fabrics are more of what I'd expect in a Florida room or sunroom than a library. The style of the furniture is fine, but the fabric choice seems out of place. The same furniture in leather or a more subdued fabric would be more to my taste. But hey, everyone likes different stuff. If the owners are happy, that's all that counts. I wouldn't stage a library like that though if I was trying to sell the house.  

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I give this homeowner props for attempting to lighten up a library.  However, I just don't care for these furnishing in a library or not and think they look out of place anyway. 

Although the paneling in this library is lighter than what I normally see, I think it could still be lightened up with a light tan leather sofa & chairs and perhaps some end tables that are wood with marble tops and off white throws and pillows, etc.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

The wood is fine. I understand the attempt to lighten up the room, but the furniture doesn’t match the architecture IMO. I don’t care for the styles, pastel colors, or prints used. I would change the furnishings & accessories. 

Honored Contributor

I love library rooms and this one is very appealing!  I could easily feel comfortable iin a room like that, love it!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Overall, I find the furnishings in this room quite appealing, though I'm unsure of the sofa color, even though I like most greens. I don't, though, care for the paneling in this instance. To me, there's too much of it and I find the color of the paneling lacks appeal. For the most part, paneled rooms aren't something I'd choose, though there are exceptions. WIth a more formal paneling, I guess I prefer a darker color and actually, tend to prefer a more rustic paneling, if I'm using it at all.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I like the room, but would replace the furniture, too many patterns and colors for me!  

Honored Contributor

I don't like the mix of colors in the upholstered furniture. 

I'm not really a pastel person, especially in home decor and it looks out of place with the style of house, then you mix in the bright green sofa and I"m out. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The color of the furniture and rug just doesnt seem to fit with the wood paneling, (Id prefer jewel tones for a cozier feel to go with the paneling), I don't like the style of the couch or coffee table. And I'd remove one of the chairs.....seems a bit crowded

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

The soft pastel colors do offset the dark moody wood, but I am still not a fan.