Respected Contributor

Re: Who has hired a home cleanout company when they moved?

You just start. Pick a room and go through it. Take what you can to Goodwill, other stuff gets taken to the dump. It can be a long, time consuming process over several weeks but you just do it. Rent a storage unit if you have to.

Valued Contributor

We just finished cleaning out our house. We are in our 70s and our time is coming. We also just bought our tombstone. We have 2 daughters and we didn't want them to have to do it. Makes things clearer for everybody.

Honored Contributor

I did. I did all my packing before the move and put all the things I didn't want in designated locations apart from the things I wanted moved with me. I had the movers come and take all my furniture and boxes out and scheduled the junk company for the next day. I had them take everything that was left. It was a huge help because I live alone and it would have taken me forever to pack up and donate or trash all those things. I donated a lot of things while I was packing, but didn't have time to do more. I know they held aside a lot of things to donate/sell, too. Since I had to stick to a tight schedule, it was a huge value-add for me and I was so glad that I did it.

Honored Contributor

I'm feeling a little of that today so I have to chuckle. All I could think of was, call a moving van company and they'll get you moved out. Next, I'd hire a cleaning company for a day to come in and help clean up what's left over. That's the only way I could answer you.

Honored Contributor

Depends how much time you have I think.

If you know you are selling your house next year start now by going through and deciding what you want to keep, letting your kids know that stuff is up for grabs or is going. Then I would get an Estate Sale company to give me quotes.

Leftovers go to 800Got junk

Valued Contributor

We are in the process of moving. New house on the 30th. We plan to have everything out and our regular cleaning ladies will come and clean everything. You never realize how much junk you have until you move!

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Super Contributor

I am in the final stages of packing up to move on the 28th.

I've lived in this house for 28 years. Several months before I listed the house, I started going through rooms and closets. I had several large charity donations before the house even went on the market.

You have to be ruthless. If it's worn, broken, or you never use it get rid of it! HOw many plastic storage containers does one need? Are you really married to those jelly jar glasses or would you rather use nice glasses {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Do one room at a time and the job isn't quite so daunting.

I will be in a nice new space with some nice new things and only the best of the old things.