Super Contributor

Who has hired a home cleanout company when they moved?

DH and I have been married over 40 years and lived in the same house. I'm wondering what we would ever do if we ever wanted to move. It's an impossible task. How would we do it? I'm not talking hoarding here......just 40+ years of stuff. Has anyone ever hired a company to come in and clean out your house?
Honored Contributor

Re: Who has hired a home cleanout company when they moved?

When my uncle got alzheimers and moved to assisted living my cousin used a company to do this as she lived in another city. She said they stole a lot.

Honored Contributor

I don't know the particulars of your circumstances, like health, age, and financial standing or how much family you have, but if you would rather avoid using a company and do it yourself, you could start right now.

If you have kids or other family members that have either stored/left things in your home, inform them it is time to come get them. If you have things that you know you aren't going to want any longer but kids or other relatives/friends might want, offer them up now and get them out of there.

After that, look at what is left and do a really good decluttering. Throw away what is really not usable to even a charitable organization. Collect up the things you could donate/garage sale/ebay, and choose the method that works best for you to get rid of those items.

You should be down to much less by now, and if you are not planning on moving really soon, however you decide to handle things at the time, you will be handling so much less.

This is much like folks who really downsize in their later life so the kids don't have so much to do when they pass. Doing it yourself, you can work at your pace, take time and not make snap decisions you may later regret, and maintain control of where things go. You also have the opportunity to make money on your things rather than paying someone to take care of them.

Esteemed Contributor

It is not impossible, just a big job. I did it myself when the time came to really downsize and move. Everything you can lift can go to the dump or to Goodwill and if you can't lift it or get it down the stairs you can get a consignment company to come pick up. Make up your mind that you will do two carloads a weekend and it will happen. You are lucky to have a helper. It can also be very hard emotionally to say goodbye, don't discount that component.

Respected Contributor

I've never had anyone clean out my house, but my local 1-800-Got-Junk franchisee will take away anything you want for a fee. In talking to the owner, I found that he has had situations where a customer will tell him to take everything out of house. You can also check out estate sale companies in your area. Look for one with good references that works on commission so there is no up-front cost to you.

Honored Contributor

When my aunt died, she had 50 years' accumulation in her home...and she was a collector!

I invited all the cousins to come and take what they wanted...then I cleaned up and we started the showings. I told the real estate agent to say it was an estate sale and they were getting first dibs at seeing it - before the furniture was gone...the house was priced right and would sell soon!

We had 5 offers in the first 3 days. One offer was from a guy that was 55, a bachelor and was recuperating from a bike/car accident. His offer was $2,000 lower than the others, but he was willing to take it AS IS - he even wanted the cans of soup in the kitchen cabinets!

The other offers all had some stipulations - totally emptying the house, pulling up the carpets and re-finishing the hardwood floors, etc.

After we figured it out...it would cost a LOT more than $2,000 to hire pros. People even wanted the VERY HEAVY workbench and treadmill removed from the basement!

This lucky guy got a great house, custom built Scandinavian furniture, a full bar, complete with glasses, an exercise room, even a coffee maker!

It was worth negotiating down $2,000!

Honored Contributor

I am a retired antique dealer who used to work on estate sales. That is the method used in the city I used to live in to pretty much clear out a house. I now live in a rural area and the big thing is estate auctions. Don't just assume you have nothing of value. "Mid century modern" is popular now, stuff from the 1950's. Depending where you live, call an estate sale company or an auctioneer. They will tell you whether it is worth the effort or not. They will also tell you if they clean out to the bare walls, placing a dumpster for junk if necessary. Some do and some don't They will also outline terms and have someone sign a contract. The most important thing is to get references if you have no familiarity with them. The second thing is don't throw out anything until someone has looked at it. Old paper items often get tossed and some are worth a bundle.

Trusted Contributor

When my mom downsized and we cleaned out the house where she had raised kids and lived for 40 years, we made it a big family project. We put a dumpster in her driveway and then started pulling stuff out and making decisions. Real junk (there was a lot of it) went into the dumpster. Family members were invited to take items they could use. Many boxes and bags-full of clothing and low-value household stuff were donated to Goodwill. We had a buyer from a local flea market come in, and they purchased and hauled away collectibles, china, pottery, lamps, miscellaneous furniture, and other saleable items. A big job, but the whole family pitched in and got it done in a weekend.

Esteemed Contributor

My family did what Goodstuff's family did. I am one of ten children. Huge 200+ year old home. When my father died, we all gathered for a long weekend and first the family chose what we wanted then the auctioneers deal with the rest by estate sale at the home. Huge turnout. A very successful auction and a work packed weekend. LM

Super Contributor

My SIL works for her brother who is an auctioneer. She said they often do house clean outs. They go through the things quickly and toss out what they decide is worthless. They box up things that would sell at an auction. They conduct an auction of those items and the people get that money minus the costs for the clean-out and the auction fees.