Honored Contributor

I think of a walk-in shower as one that is even with the floor.  If it has a 3 or 4 inch curb at the front, isn't that a step over?  

To me a walk in is one you can roll a wheelchair in without problem.

Trusted Contributor

@chi5925   Very nice ! This is what I want to do as well, for the same reasons you mentioned. Glad it has worked well for you.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy  A walk in shower has a drain in the center of the floor and a lip on the edge.  You probably will need to clean hair from the drain from time to time.  Call a professional to install the shower.  In fact call a few and get estimates then make your choice.  Get references, find out how long in busness, etc.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I think of a walk-in shower as one that is even with the floor.  If it has a 3 or 4 inch curb at the front, isn't that a step over?  

To me a walk in is one you can roll a wheelchair in without problem.

I agree. Anything that has a 3 or four inch step is not walk in. That will do you no good if your elderly and have a walker or wheel chair. And one that has a track could be a tripping hazard.

Respected Contributor
There is a rubber like seal that can be run over with a wheelchair or walker but is high enough to keep the water in, but we aren't talking a small area shower but more of a deeper shower that would comfortably hold a wheelchair and be able to navigate around in, or a walker and or with a nice sized bench seat. Most residential showers aren't this large but smaller, so they have a lip to them. If you have the space, do the full size shower for real handicap accessibility, if not, a small lip might be needed. You can do a shower curtain with the along with a slip on the wall to clip the curtain into to keep it from slipping out of the lip. My grandmother has this and it works well. She had room for a large shower chair to go in it when she re-broke her hip this past summer.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walk In Shower Question

[ Edited ]

Maybe someone has mentioned this… I haven’t read the entire thread. I have seen a walk in shower recently that has a metal grate at the opening of it, flush with the floor, where excess water would drain. This is in addition to a drain in the center of course. The advantage of a flat grate at the opening would be in the case of… As someone else mentioned… A walker or a wheelchair. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

The only walk in shower I have used was in Walt Disney World. I was a castmember at the time. And they offer rooms that are not rented at a reduced rate. So I got a handicap bathroom.

The shower was completely flush with all the other floor tile. There was a shower curtain. And looking at it you would think that water would be everywhere after you took a shower. But the water never went beyond the shower. Maybe there was a slight grade to have all the water go to the drain. I have no idea. But I would have been able to roll a wheelchair into the shower because there was no difference between the floor and the shower. Even the tile was the same. 

The bathroom was huge. I am guessing in case you do bring a wheelchair into that bathroom, that you had plenty of room to turn around. 

I think if you do a walk in shower your Mom's will like it. They will not have to worry about stepping into and out of tubs.