Respected Contributor

Considering doing a walk in shower to the bathroom on the main level of our house.  It has it's own bedroom.  It's mainly used for guests.  My Mom and my husband's Mom.  Both up their in age so I thought a walk in shower, which is level to the floor, would be a good idea.  Right now it does have a bathtub, but I'm not too concerned about loosing it because I have a total of 4 full bathrooms  and 2 half bathrooms in my house.  If I do this, I'd still have 3 tubs.  My main concern is the construction of it all.  How does the water stay within the shower area and not the rest of the floor?  Also worried it will be a nightmare with the construction and end up with problems.  Has anyone done this?  Would appreciate input/advice.  Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

With a shower open like that there is only a lip at the bottom, a shower curtain will billow and you will get water on floor. If you get glass slide doors there is a mold and mildew problem, hard water spots also. You can get the inside glass treated for these issues, it lasts 10 years. To clean this stall well you need to get down on knees to do it. I have two of these showers and to me they will be easier when older but the cleaning is just a nightmare for me. Make sure you get a seat built in, in case it’s needed. 

Honored Contributor

we have a walk in shower, but there is a "step over" of tile that roughly three to four inches.....so not totally flush with the floor. we never have any problems. ours has a glass door with a rainfall design on it. we also added a bench to sit on that is also made of tile and also added a hand held lower shower head  so that if you sit on the bench it can be accessed easily. it also has a regular rainfall showerhead.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I live in a 55+ community.  My unit has a walk in shower.  There is an upper edge at the shower entrance to keep the water in.  Also, the bottom of the shower curtain goes inside when showering. 

The shower itself has a built-in cushioned seat that folds up against the shower wall.   Personally, I've never used it.  Forget it's there.  My 93 yr old mother uses it when visiting.  Maybe something to consider for your elderly in-laws & parents?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walk In Shower Question

[ Edited ]

We had a walk in fiber glass at our old house and the house we are building is walk in. No problem at all with water getting out. The lip on the one at our old house was like 1/4 inch. At the new house we recessed it so it is allmost flush in my shower. My parents recessed there’s to. Theirs is tiled and you walk in and turn the corner. No curtain or door.

Honored Contributor

I also have 3 and 1/2 bathrooms.  In the master bedroom, I have a walk in shower.  I also have one in another guest bedrooms.

The walk in showers I have have a low lip on them about 3 or so inches high.  I had installed sliding doors.  That way you don't have to worry about curtains billowing, etc.

On one of the bathrooms I have sliding doors (with full length glass on the outside).  It works great because it's installed on the tub.

When my girls were older (it's a Jack and Jill (called) bathroom, they could soak in the tub without getting cold.  Plus the full length glass is great for giving yourself one more check before going out the door.

So, get one with a very small lip on the bottom and have shower doors installed.  The one I have over the tub is a three part one.  It's wonderful.

They (2 and 3 part) open very wide with even a very heavy person able to get in and out. 

It came in handy when I had double knee replacement in May.  I didn't have to hop over a tub and I felt very safe.  Just to be sure in the shower alone for a few weeks I put in a small stool (made for being in the shower) and then I took it out.  It's all good....you'll see.

Honored Contributor

@godi

I don't get down on my hands & knees.  I use a long handled sponge/scrub brush.  Same gets in corners too.  No bending at all.  I got mine from BBB.  Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at Thu, Jan 18, 2018-6.32.47 PM.png

Now the cleaning girl gets on her hands & kness even though she knows I have a long handled brush.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor
A sliding shower door will not work if the elderly person ever has to use a walker. I can guarantee that since I use one. And getting over the track of a sliding door is a lot for someone who is disabled or elderly.
Esteemed Contributor

Forgot to mention I use a shower curtain in my walk in.

Honored Contributor

I've used them in hotels and got the floor wet. Sure, there is that small ledge (and a slight floor angle towards the drain) but the shower curtain did not contain all the water.