Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:
A sliding shower door will not work if the elderly person ever has to use a walker. I can guarantee that since I use one. And getting over the track of a sliding door is a lot for someone who is disabled or elderly.

we have a hinged glass door that opens both in and out, not a sliding glass door. it is frameless.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My parents had the usual sliding glass doors but mom always used a shower curtain inside to keep from having to do so much cleaning.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

We have a walk in shower.  The floor of the shower has a four inch curb which prevents the water from running out on the bathroom floor.   I decided to go with an 84 inch high shower curtain installed on a curved shower curtain rod.  I use a grade A polyester shower curtain liner and a water resistant decorative shower curtain.  Both are weighted at the hem.  We had it installed six years ago and never once has water overflowed onto the bathroom floor.  I also find that by using the curved shower curtain rod, the liner and curtain do not billow in and out at all.  You can also install glass shower doors.  Some are frame-less which makes it easier to clean.  I prefer the shower curtains since I can take them down once a month and toss them in the washer and dryer.  Just my preference.

Esteemed Contributor

The only water that has ever gotten on the floor of my fiber glass walk ins was from me holding the hand held awkard. As I have bad hands. The walk in we had in the house was in our dining room as we turned that room into a shower room for me.  Never had it go out and always drained properly. The tracks could become a tripping hazard for a disabled person or elderly person.

Esteemed Contributor

We just replaced our bathtub in the master bedroom last July. It has a maybe a two inch step in, two hand rails, and a seat. We did this for three reasons. One, we never used the tub, two it was 30 years old and we hated it and three I was having knee replacement and we thought it would be better than trying to get into a tub. I wipe it down after every shower, the doors have a rainfall design that is treated to avoid spots and the track is modernized to avoid getting gunked up like old fashioned ones. Best decision. Love it. 

Honored Contributor

My 2-bath condo has one tub and one walk-in shower.  The tub gets close to no use -  just occasional guests.  My walk-in is as long as a tub and I love it.

I've never had a water mess nor mold and find cleaning it easier than doing a tob although I'm not as fussy about spots on the shower door as some are.

There's just a small step down that protects the rest of the room from flooding.

I have been in European hotel rooms with no step-  just a slant of the tiled area so the water runs right to the drain.  That works as long as the person in the shower doesn't plug the drain. I would not want that kind of set-up!

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

My 2-bath condo has one tub and one walk-in shower.  The tub gets close to no use -  just occasional guests.  My walk-in is as long as a tub and I love it.

I've never had a water mess nor mold and find cleaning it easier than doing a tob although I'm not as fussy about spots on the shower door as some are.

There's just a small step down that protects the rest of the room from flooding.

I have been in European hotel rooms with no step-  just a slant of the tiled area so the water runs right to the drain.  That works as long as the person in the shower doesn't plug the drain. I would not want that kind of set-up!

At our old house the makeshift shower we did had to have a pump. One time the circuit breaker went out and yes that can create a mess because it won’t down the drain without the pump working. But that was just because we put a shower in a spot there was no plumbing so had to use a pump. Otherwise just with a curtain it went right down the drain.

Honored Contributor

I believe now a days they make most walk in showers so they are several feet long and you kinda turn a corner into them. The shower part is at the other end. The entry is flush and the floor slightly tilts in toward the drain.

As we are looking for a new home here in Florida we see most new  homes have this type shower. 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I believe now a days they make most walk in showers so they are several feet long and you kinda turn a corner into them. The shower part is at the other end. The entry is flush and the floor slightly tilts in toward the drain.

As we are looking for a new home here in Florida we see most new  homes have this type shower. 

This is correct. My parents is exactly like this. Mine is just a 5x3.5 foot fiberglass shower.

Esteemed Contributor

Mz iMac thank you for that recommendation, I have wondered if that brush works. Do you replace the head or whole brush when cruddy?  This could be amazing! Thanks again. ❤️👍