Honored Contributor

Re: WOODEN DOUGH BOWLS BRING HISTORY TO DECOR

Oh, I like that, @Peaches McPhee!   Mine are currently on my coffee table too.  (I change out my coffee table stuff almost weekly, ha.)

Having the plants in yours just increases that lovely, warm, organic feeling that the bowls have.  I have on the table right now, a mirrored zinc tray, holding a rustic wood lantern, a tiny painted punched tin tealight holder, and a very old conical milk glass two-handled cup.  And at the other end of the table, my two larger bowls just stacked, kind of haphazardly. 

These bowls offer so much scope for decorating, don't they...   

Honored Contributor

I really like all pictures except the 3rd one. Warm and cozy decor...so pretty!

Honored Contributor

Oh, I agree about that 3rd picture, @DREAMON, now that I look at it carefully.  Drab!  I wanted to reshow how casually and prolifically she displays her vintage bowls, but these other pix are better and brighter for showing how she scatters them through her house.  She does have a rather sparse, primitive style.

image20[1].png

image2_thumb.png

image11_thumb.png

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Wonderful informative and fun post regarding dough bowls.  I don't have any, but I do have quite a few wood bowls, odd shapes, that I have bought through the years, one is enormous sort of leaf shape in that it goes out to a point on one end, very deep.  Whenever I would take it full of something I had made, to a party, the comments were first about the bowl, lol.  It is so big that I still havn't figured out where it could go in this house, need more table top space, you have me thinking again, very dangerous, lol.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Oznell   I would love to have a really old one--but you won't see a lot of really old stuff in Oklahoma!  We're not that old!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

Your carved leaf bowl has me very intrigued @mousiegirl.  I have a few "non-vintage" wood pieces too, like that cat I mentioned, which I think was done in Thailand and looks very midcentury modern.  I love the leaf motif in anything so would love your bowl.

True, Oklahoma is not old, @Sooner, but unique and highly prized!

Honored Contributor

Couldn't find any images yesterday of the "scrapers" (for lack of a better term) that you can find as a companion to dough bowls.  The nicest ones also have that wonderful, seasoned tactile old wood finish of the bowls.  I have just one that looks alot like some of these:

Trusted Contributor

I also enjoy your posts Oznel,often like this one I will open and read just because I am sure to learn something new. 

Honored Contributor

That is such a nice compliment, thank you @spud188.

Valued Contributor

Love all of the pictures and ideas. I see the repro ones a lot, but never could think of what to do with them. Might have to head to Hobby Lobby after seeing these.