Esteemed Contributor

New HE washer arrived

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone.  You may recall my earlier discussion on front loading washers.  

I bought Whirlpool.  This is the second Whirlpool appliance I bought in less than six months.  My appliances are now 14 years old and I have just started replacing them.  I had Kenmore Elite fridge and HE Front Loading.  

I have Bosch dishwasher and dual fuel stove.  I expect these to last for a much longer time.

Here is what struck me the most.  The drum itself is not smaller, but the machine is.  That is a good thing.  I bought a 5.2 capacity drum which is considered large.  I was worried it was going to be way too big but boy was I wrong.

In my research, for kingsize the recommendation was for around 4.2 to 4.5 cubic feet.  To me, that would be too small after seeing 5.2.  So glad I went bigger.

The other obvious change is the electronics. Every selection is electronic.   I made sure I put a surge protector on this one.  

I ran a short cycle.  I don't find it noisy.  I have a separate laundry room and the noise level was good.

HTH others considering new appliances.  LM

Respected Contributor

Congratulations.  Hope you love it. I've been noticing a trend of more top loading machines with the option of using more water.  Consumer magazines are promoting Speed Queen models with no electronics. I love my front load Maytag and the water I save.  

Honored Contributor
I'm using my old Whirlpool until it can't agitate. Dread buying new appliances.
Honored Contributor

I have no trouble washing my king linens, full set or comforter in my 3.5 top loader. 

Esteemed Contributor

Love my front loader. Hope you get many many years of use from it. I got extra warranty coverage on mine because of all the new bells and whistles. 

Valued Contributor

Here's a tip.  If you live in an area with lightning/thunderstorms and are worried about the electronics on your appliance just make it a habit to unplug it between uses.   I sometimes do that here in Maryland during the summer when storms are more abundant.

Esteemed Contributor

@giddy up , we get a fair amount of lightning here in Nova Scotia summer and Fall.  I am hoping the surge protector will help.  The plug for the washer is not easy to reach.  We built this place 14 years ago and a raised a few plugs but not for the washer.  The washer wasn’t electronic then.🙄LM

Respected Contributor

Congrat's on the new washer!  One of our Whirlpool HE washers was an big drum model and I was amazed what it could hold!!

It was very quiet when balanced properly.  I did not like the way it cleaned clothes though, especially towels.  After about 5 months I noticed fabric seemed dingy and things were pilling.  The water pump started to fail after a few years of light use.  When I ended up at the laundry-mat one wash with the Speed Queens blew my mind- I forgot how clean clothes looked and felt.

Good luck with the Bosch- they used to be fabulous top of the line appliances, I do not know what happened to them.  When researching my new DW 1 yr ago it was the one brand everyone told me to stay clear from.  My BF calls hers "my expensive Pinto"  lol

An electrician can install a Whole House surge protector at the main fuse box.  For the price it can save thousands in damages.

Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl , sorry to hear about your experience with Bosch.  I have never had a repair on my dishwasher and only one on my dual fuel range.  Love both of them.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  I'm sorry to hear about your Bosch as well.  Mine has been amazing.  Very quiet, no problems so far, (over 6 years old) and it really does a great job cleaning.  Everyone I know loves theirs as well.  No problems.  I would recommend them over any other brand.  It sounds like you got a lemon.