Valued Contributor

Re: Traditional New Build...

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Linda0215 wrote:

it looks like the White House.  It's a little too grand for me.  I can't remember the last time I entertained a Head of State.  

@Linda0215 - your post made me giggle.  First thing I thought of when I looked at the pictures was the White House.

I can't remember the last time when I entertained a head of state either, but I have a heating and air guy come over tomorrow morning. 

😂😂😂😂😂

Honored Contributor

I am not fond of the interior especially turquoise in the living room -- yuck and the dining room takes a completly different look and not pretty.  The exterior is very nice.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Looks like a governor's mansion. Would never want anything that big.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

To me, it looks like a lot of nice elements were just stuck on.  Willing to bet it was owner designed.

What is it with the black gutters?

I would bet it's been designed by a greedy architect who wanted to milk every penny he could from his clients. Look at the wood trim in the living/family room. Built-in niches with round tops. Round windows above the French doors. Lots, and I mean lots of wood trim. Much of it appears to be custom molding and not stock. Architects know every trick in the book to take a 3600 sq ft home and double the cost of what it could be made for. That's what this looks like to me. An architect gone wild who wanted to make as much money as he could from a wealthy client. Custom trim work in a house can vastly inflate the cost of the house. It takes more labor to install, costs more to acquire, and is harder to finish and maintain. 

You could take the same floorplan, eliminate the built-in niches, go with rectangular windows above the French doors (if you want windows there at all), use all stock molding, tiles, etc., and likely cut the construction time and cost dramatically. The same exterior design, the same footprint, the same room layout, and square footage, and by relying on stock materials, standard finishes, and less ornateness (for lack of a better word) and you could cut the cost by 20% or more. (Probably more. 40% or more wouldn't shock me.)

People vastly underestimate how big a difference there can be in the cost to build a house by sticking with stock materials. Architects love custom everything, as custom windows, doors, trim, tiles, etc. can be double or more the cost of the stock items. And if you need to replace or update a custom item later on, it costs way more than it does to replace or update a stock item. If you can't buy something off the shelf at a Home Depot or Lowes, don't have it designed into your new home.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

The exterior doesn't seem to be the same home as the interior photos. The windows just don't match up.

That being said, not my favorites styles inside of out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb 

I love the exterior of the house! 

And I love the BONES of the living room---the wall color, the shape of the windows, the alcoves, what I don't like is the choice of furniture and the amount of furniture-way too crowded.  

The dining room is very nice---I like that!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

That baseboard molding and the tall chair rail molding in photo two on the lefthand side look to project out a good two inches or more from the wall. Yikes! I'd be hitting that baseboard molding all of the time. You could never put furniture up against the wall. And it would cost a fortune to buy and install. All of the molding and trim work in photo two is excessive.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!