Super Contributor

Just read recently that many municipalities are not allowing those tiny houses to be parked in backyards, etc. Unless you have a friend/relative who owns land farther out, some people are having difficulty finding where to park these tiny houses. And IMO, those may be fine for one person or a week or 2 of vacation, but full time...no.

Regular Contributor

WSfan, I have been reading the same thing, and what about water and sewer hookup and electrical hookup.  I am sure you would have to comply with city codes and that means professional licensed contractors.  That adds up to big money.  I could live in a 400-600 ft tiny home, just me and my pugs, but that's it. Any more and I would feel closed in. But I need yard space too and a porch.  You see, I just priced myself out of a tiny house and into an affordable small house.  LOL.

Honored Contributor

I see on TV a lot these tiny homes with no bathroom sink - so you have to brush your teeth and wash your hands after going to the toilet in the same sink where you prepare food and wash dishes. EEEWWW.

Respected Contributor

Re: Tiny House series

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I think you would have to be in dire financial straights to do this. And these things are grossly overpriced - you can get a really nice camper trailer - larger and much better equiped for half the price. We live in a camper all summer every year when we snowbird to Pa. Ours is in it's third year old. King size bed, AC and furnace. 16 gallon hot water heater Fully equiped kitchen - 4 burner stove, full house size fridge, microwave big enough for a sofa and 2 recliner chairs, and a table and 4 chairs. Large shower. 8ft wide hanging closet - tons of storage. 400 sq ft and it only cost us $45,000 brand new. Plus we are equipped with tanks to hold fresh water and waste water should we want to travel with this camper - we don't but we could.No way those tiny houses can compare.

I've wanted to have one like yours as my "summer home"! Is yours a fifth wheel or can you drive it without a car? I agree, it is much better equipped than the tiny house and seems somewhat equal in price and sq. footage! Do campers come with two bedrooms? Also, where do you find to park them permanently, what does it cost to park there and are there different, how do I put it, "levels" of places to park? Like, neighborhoods, I guess. How do you know you are ending up in a "good" or "top" "nieghborhood"? I'm afraid I'd get "stuck" in a place that is not what I'm looking for. I'm not interested in loud music, rowdy parties outside every night, or lots of ATVs doing donuts around the grounds! I also want to have my grand with me but am not looking for thousands of children running wild until midnight! Am I being unrealistic or rediculous? Ok, while I'm dreaming, I'd love to be on the ocean, or at least a big lake! Possible?

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Re: Tiny House series

[ Edited ]

@Imadickens To get what you want you would have to buy a piece of land and have it developed - sewer, water and electric put in. Otherwise you will park in a campground  where you will for certain have neighbors, they will have campfires and parties and children etc. Cars will be going uo & down the street etc so that does not sound like what you are looking for.

As for the "neighborhood" -- well people who camp tend more to be inclusive than exclusive so it sounds like that would not suit you. Camping isn't for everyone.

Trusted Contributor

I don't usually watch this on HGTV, but I saw a show this week that still has me baffled. A couple with 3 children and one on the way wanted a tiny house under 200 sq ft. They bought an old bus that was 190 sq ft. The shower had a very old and grungy galvanized wash tub that served as the bottom of the "shower" and I'm still not sure where the toilet was. The bus seats were rigged as beds, so if the children grew more than an inch or two they'd be out of luck. The husband said he was a financial planner. He certainly wouldn't be planning my finances. 

Honored Contributor

Let's fac reality - anyone doing this esp. with a family is probably in a bad way financially, and I'd put money on the fact that they have poor decision making skills in the first place. Trying to live with a family of 5 in such a small home is just another bad decision.

Respected Contributor

I would be curious to know the average length of time people live this way before they throw in the towel. I would have a full-blown claustrophobic meltdown before you could say "get me out of here."