Regular Contributor

i am watching the Tiny House program and a family of 5 is downsizing to 250sq ft.  Are you kidding me.  That is an argument waiting to happen.  Do they really think this will work.  Maybe for 1 person, but 5.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tiny House series

[ Edited ]

I think you would have to be in dire financial straights to do this. And these things are grossly overpriced - you can get a really nice camper trailer - larger and much better equiped for half the price. We live in a camper all summer every year when we snowbird to Pa. Ours is in it's third year old. King size bed, AC and furnace. 16 gallon hot water heater Fully equiped kitchen - 4 burner stove, full house size fridge, microwave big enough for a sofa and 2 recliner chairs, and a table and 4 chairs. Large shower. 8ft wide hanging closet - tons of storage. 400 sq ft and it only cost us $45,000 brand new. Plus we are equipped with tanks to hold fresh water and waste water should we want to travel with this camper - we don't but we could.No way those tiny houses can compare.

Honored Contributor

I sometimes wish  that I had more room, and it's just me in a small 2 story home. I don't know how they do it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@devababy wrote:

i am watching the Tiny House program and a family of 5 is downsizing to 250sq ft.  Are you kidding me.  That is an argument waiting to happen.  Do they really think this will work.  Maybe for 1 person, but 5.

Wow, a whole 50 sq. ft per person!  The parents have desperately fooled themselves into thinking this will work...feel bad for the kids.

Respected Contributor

Good grief!  One floor of my condo (there are three) is 600 sq ft., and it's just me and a cat!  What happens if someone gets the flu or two people need the bathroom?  You could never serve beans for dinner!

Laura loves cats!
Regular Contributor

I agree.  Just occurred to me, the girls are teenagers, sharing room, bunk beds, but no dresser and I did not see closet space.   Only 1 bathroom.  No desk space for studying.  I could not do this.  And this one cost 95k.   No way.  Seems you could get a fabulous camper, and I've seen some great, spacious ones for  half the price.  Then how do they pass zoning laws and building code for water/waste water.  I just wonder if potential owners have considered all this, or is this just a "let's do this" trend.  I would feel closed in with that many people around me.

Trusted Contributor

The Tiny Show "thing" is in full swing on so many channels.  I wonder if I saw the same show you are watching, the kids left their own rooms to then sleep side by side and could only take one box of items.  I find that to be child abuse, seriously,people can't miss what they never had.  So if the kids never had a nice home, never had their own room then they might adjust better but to go from my own room and privacy to the EnTIRE HOUSE knows when I flush the toilet cause we are side by side. 

That is crazy!!

I am in a one level rambler and it is just me, my cat and my husband and I could use a full second level.  I wish we had a basement so i want to go BIGGER not smaller.  Everybody needs some privacy at some point. 

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

First, I think any family member who thinks that living in a 250 sf home with anyone will bring the family together is crazy.  I remember seeing a family of 5 that lived in a 1,000 sf home in Florida and they moved into a 300 sf tiny home.  They already lived in a tiny home.  If you cannot manage your money while living in 1,000 sf, then you have money management problems and need help with that, but that does not require moving.  It requires doing without anything but necessities and being adults.

Many of these tiny home owners either have to purchase property that is very far away from work or they are putting their tiny home on someone else's property.  Not for me.

I do understand not needing the mega-mansions that I see around me.  They are costly to heat and to maintain.  But, I don't think that a tiny home is even safe.  How easy is it to break into, and if you are too far out in the country, how long would it take for help to arrive.

We are also seeing neighbors fighting back against tiny homes since they believe that they bring down property values.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

The "Owners / Parents" will probably ...Pitch a tent onto the roof, for the kids to sleep in.  Hope they don't have any pets...?  

Even for 1 person 250 sq feet?  

When they hit their late 50's and early 60's and are trying to get up the tiny stair case?   To acess the "Sleeping Loft"  that is big enough to scoot, not stand from one side to the next...Have fun!!!!   

Once again...It comes down to personal choice...

I personally, could not stand it.

Honored Contributor

When the "tiny house" program comes on, I change the channel.  Enough said. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~