Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tankless Hot Water Heaters

@Skyegirl21 I know you have to clean the sediment out every 6 months or so on them.

Trusted Contributor

My husband installed a small one under our kitchen sink. I wanted instant hot water, especially when the dishwasher ran. Very glad to have it. 

Respected Contributor

@Teddiewrote:

My husband installed a small one under our kitchen sink. I wanted instant hot water, especially when the dishwasher ran. Very glad to have it. 

I might have to do that in our kitchen.  It takes forever for the water to get hot because the tank is located in basement on other side of the house.  However what is odd, when I turn on dishwasher, then turn on kitchen faucet I get hot water almost instantly.

Super Contributor

We’ve had two for at least five years. My husband and our neighbor installed them. We did learn that you have to clean them once a year. We flush them out with plain white vinegar and the water runs out green at first. We have gas ones. We’ve heard they do better with gas. Electric ones don’t get hot enough. The kitchen one we dial up very hot, the bathroom ones not so hot. Love them.

Super Contributor

@Snooppwrote:

@Skyegirl21 I know you have to clean the sediment out every 6 months or so on them.

Also if you have an electric one & the power goes out you have no hot water. My friend got one several years ago & since our power goes out frequently she has no hot water.

Honored Contributor

The company where I used to work had tankless water heaters installed at every sink in the building when it was being built.

I can say I was impressed. When you turned on the hot water - it was hot. The President's office had a full bathroom with a shower. I never used it, so I don't know about taking showers with the tankless water heater. But I would definitely install them in my house. 

PS - I also know no one did any maintence on the tankless hot water heaters while I was employed there (12 years). Because there were never any problems with the hot water. And the building had 9 tankless hot water heaters.

Respected Contributor

@Diamonds22wrote:

@Snooppwrote:

Also if you have an electric one & the power goes out you have no hot water. My friend got one several years ago & since our power goes out frequently she has no hot water.

If don't have electricity, I don't have water.  This is what it is like when you have a well for water and an electric pump.  My parents have a gas tankless hot water heater but not water when the power is out.  This is country living.